White Oak Burl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
Have any pipe makers used White Oak burl which is just as hard if not harder than Briar damn near impossible to cut with a chainsaw without sparks flying to make a pipe I have a huge chunk of it that got off a customer's log when I saw milled for them and I had it evaluated in it's a nice piece of burl and I didn't know

Wasn't quite exactly sure how long that would take cuz it was sitting for 3 years before I got it

Partially petrified bog oak makes very good pipes. I prefer the black morta to the brown. Hard to say how long it takes oak to become morta. Tens of thousands of years? More, maybe.

Someday after I'm long dead a pipe will be made from this piece of wood or something singing about just selling it I can get a hundred fifty bucks for it but I don't know

Doesn't oak contain bitter tannins? Bitter tannins that might leach out and show up, uninvited, when hot, steamy, tobaccy smoke passes them by on its way into a mouth? Ever eat an acorn?

Just asking.

I smoked out of an oak pipe on a daily never tasted anything bad or anything plus this is Burl

Pipkin Pipes uses oak. He's made some chubby Anse that he is proud of, lots of pics on IG.

White Oak is a waterproof oak. It is used for whisky barrels. That said I know there is a smell associated with the oaks, sour it is. If you cover the end grain with paint that will slow down the drying process and it may prevent cracking during the slow drying process. Some lumber will require one year per inch of thickness. GOOD LUCK with the progress. What part of the country was the tree located?