White Pumpkin Pie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
After Halloween I bought a white pumpkin for $1.00. Yesterday, I gutted, peeled, cubed, and seasoned it. It's baking in the oven as I'm posting. Once it's cooked through, I'll let it cool, then run it through my food processor to make a puree' for a white pumpkin pie.

The white pumpkin seems to have minuscule flavor. I seasoned the pumpkin cubes with brown sugar, ginger, salt, and garam masala and let the seasoned cubes rest and marinate in the fridge before roasting them. After I puree' them, I'll follow a standard pumpkin pie recipe.

I haven't had white pumpkin since I was a kid. My mother and grandmother grew them and made pie, jams, and sauce from them.
My mother called them "baking pumpkins". The sauce was similar to apple sauce.

Never heard of using Indian spices on squash. How is that? I guess you wouldn’t use it if you didn’t like it.
Garam masala is primarily cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg; some with cardamom. It's really not all that different from bottled pumpkin pie spice. Garam masala does have a light touch of pepper.

I let my 14 month old granddaughter taste the puree and she seemed to like it.