Who am I?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonecoyote":l8pak33d said:
Arky, if its shark spine odds are it's from a shark that's no longer with us!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I'm freaking dying!!! THAT WAS ON TIME!!!!

Arky, give me a dead shark and about 20 minutes and I'll definitely obtain a piece of his spine.  

OOPS, forgot to mention...my older sibling is spineless....therefore a piece would not be obtainable.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

ya my poimt exactly u must catch a shark kill the shark gut the shark and cut it out not that easy to obtaon considering u cant just shark fish with out it being the season and u haveing the permits

Simple Man":eoqkrp2s said:
He may have just found it on the beach after the BP oil spill in the Gulf
Very possible theory, but do you have any idea how much bleach it would have taken to what most likely could have been dark brown spine... :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":lnpbq1ye said:
Simple Man":lnpbq1ye said:
He may have just found it on the beach after the BP oil spill in the Gulf
Very possible theory, but do you have any idea how much bleach it  would have taken to what most likely could have been dark brown spine... :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I really don't know much about shark spine... now if the subject were possums or raccoons... :lol!:

Arky old bean, I grew up on Long Island not far from the Atlantic coast. Went ocean fishing often. Not on a commercial fishing boat so no permit needed if by chance you catch a ? shark ?.

At one point many years ago the area of Jones Beach ( Atlantic Ocean ) was so shark infested boats were sent out with shotguns to kill all sharks that drifted into warmer waters. As Stick would say " it was a BLOODY mess "!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I don't know why y'all are arguing with Arky..... He has it all figured out!

Well Travis, now you know how dedicated Jesse is getting a great pipe together. Not only did he wrestle down a Great White, Chop out it's spine and whittle it into a part of a stem for your pipe, but also had to deal with Greenpeace and Fish and Game to harvest said shark. Prolly cost a thousand bucks or so just to get the part. You should be super appreciative and send him something special in thanks for even offering to craft such a fine piece of art for you making a 'lucky guess', as you said. Very special pipe! Don't forget, he recommended you don't touch it so it colours out evenly!

So, for all y'all out there givin' the young buck a hard time, remember this....

"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise"... Commander Riker.

Ozark Wizard":y9rksrln said:
I don't know why y'all are arguing with Arky..... He has it all figured out!

Well Travis, now you know how dedicated Jesse is getting a great pipe together. Not only did he wrestle down a Great White, Chop out it's spine and whittle it into a part of a stem for your pipe, but also had to deal with Greenpeace and Fish and Game to harvest said shark. Prolly cost a thousand bucks or so just to get the part. You should be super appreciative and send him something special in thanks for even offering to craft such a fine piece of art for you making a 'lucky guess', as you said. Very special pipe! Don't forget, he recommended you don't touch it so it colours out evenly!

So, for all y'all out there givin' the young buck a hard time, remember this....

"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise"... Commander Riker.
Well said!

Heck OW, nobody picking on Arky from what I can tell. Only one has prior and I sent that member a PM and has not happened since.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ozark Wizard":wx8h9srd said:
Well Travis, now you know how dedicated Jesse is getting a great pipe together. Not only did he wrestle down a Great White, Chop out it's spine and whittle it into a part of a stem for your pipe, but also had to deal with Greenpeace and Fish and Game to harvest said shark. Prolly cost a thousand bucks or so just to get the part.
Yup. That's pretty much how it went down. The only detail OW left out was that I was smoking a pipe the whole time.

In truth, I was gifted a few pieces from pipe maker Clark Layton. Apparently it's used for various arts and crafts, but I've honestly never seen the stuff for sale before. I've used it once before on a pipe and it is actually pretty easy to work with.

i have been makring a special place for it im so thrilled to be offered such a amazing gift

i have been makring a special place for it im so thrilled to be offered such a amazing gift he has no earthly idea how thankfull i am no way i could get something this amazing any other way im so blessed.

Just stumbled over this thread and my jaw dropped when I saw that pipe--I knew you were one hell of a carver, Jesse, but you outdid yourself this time! Congrats, Arky, that's something special!

Ocelot55":wbu6ca3j said:
Okay, Arky, here is what you've won:

The 5th annual Jones Halloween Pipe! This year I wanted to go with an appropriately spooky bone theme. The bowl is sandblasted briar that has undergone a bleaching process, the shank is made from shark spine, and the stem is white juma. I've always wanted to try a bleached finish on a pipe before so this was a big experiment for me. This will darken up after it's been smoked much like a meerschaum. If you don't touch the bowl much is should darken uniformly. That's the one downside of the bleached finish.

ebc8a916cae18c12-DSC_2213.JPG

Anyway, Congrats to Arky, and to the rest of you better luck next year!