who has made perique at home

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that all perique was processed in Louisiana. MIKE

SPUD 15":kli0zhxs said:
I always thought that all perique was processed in Louisiana.  MIKE
Same here. According to all the reading I've done real perique is a species of tobacco that grows in only one place in the world. St. James Parrish in Louisiana.
I've also read that there is false perique and that it is made from a species of burley. Kentucky Green River burley if I remember correctly.

williamcharles":1jn1sonz said:
SPUD 15":1jn1sonz said:
Same here. According to all the reading I've done real perique is a species of tobacco that grows in only one place in the world. St. James Parrish in Louisiana.
I've also read that there is false perique and that it is made from a species of burley. Kentucky Green River burley if I remember correctly.

Yuppers, I do make a 'Perique'. I use quotation to indicate that it is tobacco treated in the same manner as what they make in St. James Parish, LA.

Obviously too, that one farm could not possibly account for all the tons of it in the world. It is my understanding that there are other makers of 'Perique' that use Green River Burley, and now there is something called Acadian Perique, which a different critter, but similar, and somewhat well recieved.

Ever use a Band-Aid? Are you sure, or is it just an adhesive bandage? The use of the name 'Perique' is like that... I have a method, and there are others online. You seem to like You-Tube, perhaps watch a how-to vid?

Ozark Wizard":xgdl31yn said:
williamcharles":xgdl31yn said:
SPUD 15":xgdl31yn said:

Yuppers, I do make a 'Perique'. I use quotation to indicate that it is tobacco treated in the same manner as what they make in St. James Parish, LA.

Obviously too, that one farm could not possibly account for all the tons of it in the world. It is my understanding that there are other makers of 'Perique' that use Green River Burley, and now there is something called Acadian Perique, which a different critter, but similar, and somewhat well recieved.

Ever use a Band-Aid? Are you sure, or is it just an adhesive bandage? The use of the name 'Perique' is like that... I have a method, and there are others online. You seem to like You-Tube, perhaps watch a how-to vid?
YouTube? You sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

You more or less supported what I posted about what I've read. There's real Perique and there's false "Perique".

williamcharles":500dmm9y said:
Ozark Wizard":500dmm9y said:
williamcharles":500dmm9y said:
SPUD 15":500dmm9y said:

You more or less supported what I posted about what I've read. There's real Perique and there's false "Perique".
Sorry, I quoted you but was talking to the poster asking about making it. Sorry for the confusion.

Ozark Wizard":gznznqzl said:
williamcharles":gznznqzl said:
Ozark Wizard":gznznqzl said:
williamcharles":gznznqzl said:
SPUD 15":gznznqzl said:

Sorry, I quoted you but was talking to the poster asking about making it. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem. Maybe I should check out youtube. I might learn a thing or three :D