Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Comedian or Comedienne - who is your favorite and why? I'll go first....

For the "classic era" (if there is such a thing) there's plenty to choose from -

Gleason
Don Rickles (Mr. Insult)
Carol Burnett
Joan Rivers (Mrs. Insult)
Phyllis Diller
Rodney Dangerfield
Bob Hope
Jerry Lewis
Johnny Carson
etc ad nauseam.......

And then of course there's the newer wave -

Seinfeld
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Sam Kinison
Carlin
The list goes on...........

I guess if I had to choose just one and only one favorite comedy character through the years that never failed to delight it would have to be...........

...................drum roll please...................

Jonathan Winters!

AFAIC, Winters was the most spontaneous of them all and could turn any situation into something hilarious, if not a bit absurd. He was quick witted and came out with zingers a-plenty. This was most evident when he had his own show, and at the end he'd take an object from the studio audience and improv about it.

Ya, there's so many funny folks that rank right up there with me as well. But Winters is in a class by himself IMHO.

:lol!:

And you?

Cheers,

RR

(p.s. there are no winners or losers here. It's all subjective).

Dick Van Dyke
Abbott and Costello
Laurel and Hardy
The Stooges
Hal Roach

Bill Murray
Dan Akroyd
John Candy

Not much for many of modern comedians, the humor just doesn't seem to do it for me really. They don't seem to have the same wit, the old guys still make me laugh out loud when I'm watching them alone, and don't have to resort to four letter words, not that I have anything against swearing.

Another one I forgot to mention is Steven Wright. I just love his slow delivery and short couple line jokes.

Sometimes I have a hard time following those comedians that start telling a story then tell 5 more other stories to eventually 10 minutes later come back to the original story to finish the joke.

Old School...

Buster Keaton
WC Fields
The Marx Bros.
Victor Borge
Red Skelton

No...not the 3 Stooges.

Newer School...

Craig Furgeson
Mitch Hedburg
Gallagher
Steven Wright
Bill Murray

No...not Jerry Lewis.

There are a number of good comedians but Rodney has my respect the most.

There’s going to be a cultural divide here, chaps!

Old school:

The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Python (collectively and solo)
Spike Milligan
Les Dawson
Tommy Cooper
Peter Sellers

More contemporary:

Rowan Atkinson
Ricky Gervais
Harry Enfield
Paul Whitehouse
Cathy Burke
David Walliams

Gosh, how to pick a favourite... I need to reflect....

I always liked Tim and Harvey

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vq8WAkZCaFI" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Stick":ljcc6qpm said:
There’s going to be a cultural divide here, chaps!

Old school:

The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Python (collectively and solo)
Spike Milligan
Les Dawson
Tommy Cooper
Peter Sellers

More contemporary:

Rowan Atkinson
Ricky Gervais
Harry Enfield
Paul Whitehouse
Cathy Burke
David Walliams

Gosh, how to pick a favourite... I need to reflect....

ey up mate...

Sadly most of those names are lost on me. I do recognize the Python reference as well as Peter Sellers. Of course Blighty had a whole different spectrum of comedians than those in the US would be familiar with.

Also remember enjoying The Benny Hill Show back in the 70's, and of course Fawlty towers is outstanding.

And there again, British humor is different from ours as well. I've seen some of it from my old UK mate Ian - "Father Ted" for the older material through to "Little Britain" for more modern content. But perspective is required first. A familiarity with British ways and customs is a pre-requisite.

Cheers,

RR

Hands down Rodney Dangerfield!

Why? Cause he makes me LMAO!
Hard to explain why, he just does, as far as these new comedians go, there just stupid IMHO.

Tim Conway was great. I'll bet he and Jonathan Winters would have brought the house down.

Steve Martin is #1 because his entire body of work in both stand up and the movies.
giphy.gif

Bob Newhart must be mentioned in any "greatest" discussions.

+ 1 for Bob Newhart. I listened to a CD of his recently and his sketches were brilliant. I especially liked the one revolving around Sir Walter Raleigh bringing tobacco to Blighty.

I just found a contemporary comedian that I like
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mSGwndFMp8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>