Who knows about carver Don Mock?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olewaylon

Reaction score
Recently I bought an estate lot of pipes and acquired about 50 pipes from a carver called Don Mock. Ive been trying to learn more about him and so far have discovered next to nothing via google search and other forums. Im really curious to learn about anybody who owns a Don Mock pipe or knows anything about them. These are some of the craziest looking Freehands and would love to know more about the guy who made them.

Thanks

olewaylon":lmeelg1w said:
Recently I bought an estate lot of pipes and acquired about 50 pipes from a carver called Don Mock.  Ive been trying to learn more about him and so far have discovered next to nothing via google search and other forums.  Im really curious to learn about anybody who owns a Don Mock pipe or knows anything about them.  These are some of the craziest looking Freehands and would love to know more about the guy who made them.

Thanks
Here's what Pipedia has to say "Don Mock was a carver from the Midwest."
Gee, that's good to know.

He was from Iowa. There's a piece about him in the old PCI magazine.  :shock: 

Dave, do you have a link to the write up on him? I would love to read that.

olewaylon":d0vndx5m said:
Dave, do you have a link to the write up on him?  I would love to read that.
This was back in the 80's long before the internet. I see back issues of PCI Magazine at shows and on eBay sometimes. When I get some time I'll dig around in the davecave and find what issue it is.  :shock:
I just remembered P&T Foundations has some of them scanned if you are a subscriber

hey Dave, that would be great if you could find out which one that is. as cartaphilus pointed out there is nothing to be found on the internet.

Share the love and post some pictures. I would love to see some of these freehands.

olewaylon":nti38ny1 said:
hey Dave, that would be great if you could find out which one that is.  as cartaphilus pointed out there is nothing to be found on the internet.
I found the scan on Foundations!! It's Fall 1984 edition, Savinelli is on the cover.
I hope you do ok on the sale those old free hands are part of what started and built pipes as a hobby and that gets lost in what/who ever is hot at the moment.
Noobs don't realize it wasn't that long ago pipes were pretty much a disposable ways to get a nic fix. It was guys like Don and the other early artisan carvers, Bruce Spencer of PCI, and a many other early student of pipes collectors who started this hobby that we all share today.  :shock: 

3DA7E5F9-CCCF-4B78-828E-6F4A9B9704E9.jpg
[/url][/img]

These pipes look awful familiar to me.  :suspect: :scratch:
Except the last one.

here is a few of them. i don't know if the "bridge" pipe comes through in the picture but it is huge! bigger than my head by a long shot.

Wow! Those are crzy, unique pipes. You got a great deal on those pipes. I hope you find out more about the carver. Looks like an awesome collection. Is that bridge pipe even smokeable? Have any of those been smoked?

D4, they all look to be lightly smoked. the guy had close to 250 pipes and I think he must have rotated them regularly because none of the were in bad shape.

I would say the bridge is definitely smokeable if you like big bowls. Personally It would be too much to handle for me, but I'm sure it would be right up the alley some Hoss. The actual bowl looks manageable, its one huge chunk of briar around it though.

Could someone help me out with a link to the PCI website? I'm getting no help from Google to find this site.