Who Needs Cake !!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the “no cake” camp. After every smoke or two I wipe out my pipes with a twisted paper towel or use a folded over pipe cleaner to wipe down the walls of the bowl. I have done it this way for years and all my pipes smoke cool and dry, taste good and require less rack time between smokes.

I've posted this before, but for me the problem of the "Senior/Kleen Ream" that cannot expand to do a 360 degree ream is easily overcome by setting it to the smallest possible diameter, in which case the reamer can ream anywhere inside the bowl. I do 3 or 4 twists of the reamer, or more, anywhere I find appreciable cake and then move on to the next high spot.

Although doing this allows me to do an approximately 80% effective job, it doesn't address keeping relatively low and high places in the cake from being so, even after I've gotten out what I can see as high places. There have been a significant number of posts in this thread about the importance of having a reamed but uniform thickness to the cake left in the bowl.

I'm going to have to look into that.