Who still polishes shoes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My late Pap had one of those boxes with a foot rest on the top and the box contained all necessary polishes, brushes for applying and buffing, polishing rags, and so forth.

As a kid it was my task to polish his shoes on a regular basis. I grew to love this as the scent of the polish and the task brought me pleasure.

Even now when I no longer have any shoes that need polishing I can still recall the aroma of the polish and how much it meant to my Pap.

Cheers,

RR

Great Thread!

Growin up, in the 60's and 70's, I used to sit on the back porch with my pop and help him polish his cowboy boots.

When I enlisted in the Navy I found that I and the other recruits from the Philippines were the only ones in our company that knew how to polish leather shoes.

After the navy (81-87) I was a suit and tie guy until about 2 years ago. Polished my Johnson & Murphy's every weekend throughout that entire period.

My wife still finds it amusing that I have way more shoes in the closet than she does. I'm not exactly sure but I think I've got somewhere over 20 pair of dress shoes, not to mention sneakers, boots, flip flops and a dozen or so pair of golf shoes.

To this day I can't stand to have scuffed shoes. Call it OCD or anal retentive, I just feel like I've got a mustard stain on my shirt if my shoes are roached out. (lawn mowing sneakers excluded) :)

Yup, I still polish my leather shoes and boots. On my Boots I finish off with a mixture of Bee's wax and mineral oil, let stand for an hour then buff. Great water repellent and leather protectant.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":8j9uxqby said:
Yup, I still polish my leather shoes and boots. On my Boots I finish off with a mixture of Bee's wax and mineral, let stand for an hour then buff. Great water repellent and leather protectant.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I picked up a good trick (hack) while in the Navy.

For years I traveled and found it impractical to bring shining supplies along with me.

If the shoes had a good basic shine, which they always did, I would simply put a sock over my hand and buff em up when i got back to the hotel or before I would head out in the morning.

To this day, I'll give the sock a quick try before I break out the kit.

Funny enough, now that we're getting into the spring/summer season I find that I wear golfin shorts and shirt most days, and as a result, most days I'm sportin flip flops.

However, on Sunday, I don the slacks and dress shoes and head off to church. :)

Count me as a polisher, too. I wore a school uniform as a teen and a military uniform as a young adult, so I guess the shoe-shining things is baked into my DNA at this point. Can't stand to see or wear scuffed, dirty, or otherwise messed up dress shoes. Cleaning and polishing a pair of shoes takes 2 minutes out of your life but adds so much more to your appearance, IMHO.

I don't have call for dress shoes very often at this point, but when I do, they shine before I go out the door. :sunny:

arkansabspiper":4rlhr954 said:
can make ya shoes look like mirror's
Great, now stand in front of the hottest woman you know wearing a skirt, just look down at your shoes...lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Trying to sell the last pair of shoes I have that would need polish now. No more tying or polishing of shoes for me being disabled. :cry:

Geez, I get harassed at work for my shoes / boots being "TOO SHINY"!!!  :p

I had a Sergeant tell me once that he could never trust a Cop with shiny shoes. He said they were one of these: 1) A "rat suck up", 2) An "OCD Mental Case" or 3) An "asshole house mouse" (Someone who wouldn't go out on patrol and would hide in the office). He looked at my shoes as he was walking away and said "Which jerk-off would you happen to be?" Nice......really nice.
:lol!:

arkansaspiper":zlvo4kb0 said:
i can make ya shoes look like mirror's
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IeL8EYtbVw0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

when i went to military school we had these wonderfull Co's from the USMC if boots where not mirror's we where smoked. most military men should know the term smoked.