Why are Germain produced tobaccos so damn good?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
So i got some new production of Penzance and the new Balkan Sobranie. I find both have a similar escense. They both have  a soft velvety mouth feel with excellent balance of sweet and savory and both i can retrohale without any harshness at all. What is their secret?

Its is a quality product that is blended well. If you like those you need to try Special Latakia Flake which I find the other oriental are more toward than Penzance, and brown flake.

Because they are masters! They are easily my favorite blending house - love me some SLF and Brown flake. If you manage to find some stock up!
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015

Kramer":szu8ndzc said:
Because they are masters! They are easily my favorite blending house - love me some SLF and Brown flake. If you manage to find some stock up!
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015
Stonehaven...

All the Germain's blends I've had have been great as well, they do a stellar job. There must be some secret voodoo coming in off the Channel that makes them all so delicious! :p

I didn't know they switched the Medium Flake to the larger tins. Wonder if they're going that route for all of them and phasing out the smaller tins.

If anyone knew how they produce such excellent blends I think everyone would be doing it. ;)

Kramer":5lp83f1q said:
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015
oh my that's like $1000 worth of tobacco for us in the uk and I'm being conservative, I doubt In my lifetime ill never go through so much let alone own it..

fair play sir.. and yes I'm a little jealous lol

I think what produces their unique taste are the Orientals they use. They taste like none other. :)

Treacle & licorice seems to be a common theme in a lot of their blends, but I also believe that there's a certain level of maturity that their tobaccos have prior to packaging that gives their mixtures a more refined flavor.  I unbagged a recently packaged 8oz sack of Woodbridge a few moths ago and the tobacco strands were literally glistening with sugar crystals.

kitobi":79f5g0mi said:
Kramer":79f5g0mi said:
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015
oh my that's like $1000 worth of tobacco for us in the uk and I'm being conservative, I doubt In my lifetime ill never go through so much let alone own it..

Ditto!

Cripes, that looks good. Seeing the Royal Jersey Perique has brought back some good memories of that blend. Recon I need to order some more very soon!

Kramer":2tgm1dp0 said:
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015
Jumping Butterballs!

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

Cheers,

RR

Stick":nnocw1fw said:
kitobi":nnocw1fw said:
Kramer":nnocw1fw said:
image_zps8pc2enf2.jpg

My haul from 2015

Ditto!

Cripes, that looks good.  Seeing the Royal Jersey Perique has brought back some good memories of that blend.  Recon I need to order some more very soon!
I keep an eye out on all the retailers and I never see SLF come available, and yet you have multiples! Good on ya.

I do group buys for SLF and brown flake at least once a year. Just closed participation a day ago for this round. I usually get 36 tins combined. Should keep an eye out for the BoB facebook page.

Some folks think that the limited supply has become a development in recent years, but the reality is, the supply has been limited for quite some time.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VqvOzrbFbv4" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Dutch":75rc0nq0 said:
Some folks think that the limited supply has become a development in recent years, but the reality is, the supply has been limited for quite some time.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VqvOzrbFbv4" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:  That's got to be one of the funniest I've seen. Thanks for posting it. I was needing something to lift my mood. :)

AJ

I'm thinking with Penzance, obviously this is just speculation on my part, that how they process it has a lot to do with the flavor. I'm thinking they press the whole leaf tobacco into a plug and age it in a plug for awhile, then I think they slice the plug and then bring it to a high case and hot press it for some length of time, probably not long and then they release the pressure when let the tobacco dry down to the packaging moisture content and that's why the flakes are falling apart or they're term "molted flake." Just my thoughts.

lol seen this video from everything from football to now pipe smoking, was funny still all the same

Dutch":p1cshwri said:

That's great. I laughed the way through. I have had similar penzance issues myself. I got some gifted to me from a sympathetic brother, and some more from a bombing. Alas, I have smoked it all.

It is good stuff. I found that the smokers haven house blends have a similar flavor to them. I think somebody on tobaccoreviews wrote they were made by germains, at least at one point. I really like those too. They just don't burn the same though.