Why do we all love Peterson so much?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
I will admit to be being an unabashed fan of the company. I have more Petes than any other make, and by a significant margin. When I last counted I had 14, I now probably have closer to 20. I'm no Jim Lilley, but I like me some Irish briar. It's hard to say that I have a favorite pipe, but the pipe I smoke more than any other would be 264 that I purchased new in 2012. The other day I noticed that the stem was starting to oxidize and though to myself, that's pretty good for a Pete.

As a matter of fact, I have one Pete, a Shannon B11 bought new from Holts in Philadelphia, that oxidized the moment I first put it in my mouth. I have pipes in my collection that age from the early 20th Century to one that is only days old. Yet none of the pipes seem to have a stem that oxidizes as badly as the Peterson. One pipe, a System 307, is practically unsmokeable because of the odor of burnt tires permeating the stem.

I know that there are methods for belaying this (I'm particularly fond of Bar Keepers Friend, followed up with Obsidian Stem Oil). But why, do we accept this? I have other pipes that I have smoked regularly for years that show no sign of oxidation whatsoever. I have a 1997 Dunhill whose stem looks new, despite having been throughly abused.

What prompted this train of though, was that I just purchased a new 69 in the Dalkey finish. It is a very beautiful pipe, and to look at it, I would think it should cost more than it did. Then I tried to run a pipe cleaner through it and found it impossible. I know that the "pipe cleaner" test is not necessarily the mark of a good pipe, and there are plenty of excellent, very well made, pipes that can't pass a pipe cleaner, but the 69 is a very simple shape, with a fairly slight bend. There is no reason for it not to be able to pass a pipe cleaner easily. This made me think, and went to my cabinet. Not a single on of my bent Petes can pass a pipe cleaner. Not even the 80s. I understand why the System pipes have trouble, but there is no reason a regular pipe, with a 1/4-1/2 bend shouldn't be able to pass a pipe cleaner.

Lastly, there was the issue a while back with the staining bubbling off some of their lower end pipes. Fortunately I did not fall victim to this.

Yet despite all of this, I am just as strong of a fan today as I was the day I bought my first one. I really can't say why. Maybe its the history of the company. Maybe I just a sucker for a good advertising campaign. I wish I knew. As a matter of fact, I'm currently in the market for Dalkey in the 264 shape...

I hear you brother and agree 100%.

I've got 29 Peterson pipes of differing grades. Top grades include a gold banded Pete Supreme and a silver cap and lid Deluxe. Most smoke just okay. One or two are actually good smokers and the rest are pretty poor performers. Despite this, I love Petes. The appeal, at least to me, is the aesthetics. Of the big three (Stanwell, Savinelli and Peterson) Petersons have some of the best looking grain and finishes. They also have a distinctive look and frequently use great silver work. Peterson also has stayed pretty affordable. One hundred bucks will still buy you a new one. Add to all this the long history of the company and you've got a winner.

I have had many Peterson pipes in the past but wind up giving them away. I do like the Sherlock series and would keep smoking a squire, but find their 80s too small a bowl. I have not had any bad experiences with the many I have owned over the years and would have no problem recommending them to someone new or a friend that I feel would like them.

giphy.gif

To me I think it's mainly just aesthetics because I am one that likes to be able to pass a cleaner through a pipe after I'm done and when an obstruction gets in the way. I've never had a bad smoke in one but, only smoke one or two of the seven I own for the reason I stated above. There's also a great history with the company and many collect the older ones for there value which may also contribute to there sales. Although I won't recommend one, I can't say there a bad pipe, there just not my favorite pipe. ;)

I know I wrote a wall of text, but to be clear, my point was not that Peterson pipes are overrated, which I agree is a topic debated ad nauseum. My point was, despite being fully aware of these flaws, I continue to lust after these pipes.

I like Pete. Have 4 of them. I won't say they're my favorite but they make hefty pipes, which I like. The 106 is my favorite billiard shape.

Do I think they're overated, no but they're not underated either. All my petes have been good pipes and I didn't feel like I overpaid or underpaid.

My experience with Peterson has been positive considering that I have models from Pre=Republic thru 2010. Two are pipes bought by my father when he was stationed in London after WWII in 1946, Four I bought during the 1970's, with the last two being from the bottom of their High Grades in 2010. I've never experienced any of the stain "problems" others speak about and from what I can tell, much of the "cleaner problem" is due to how the firm does it's air hole drilling in a sort of two step method which creates a sort of "step" for the cleaner to hit when going thru. I've not found this to be a problem as with a slight kink on the end of the cleaner and a bit of "fiddling" the cleaner does pass ! Overall, mine have ALL been EXCELLENT smokers, made from good briar and finished well. They, like Savinelli make an EXCELLENT value in a production made pipe today. Besides, they are THE ONLY traditional pipe maker from the "good 'ol days" of Brit pipe making left!!  :twisted: :twisted:

Don't know where they get their briar, but all four of mine have a great taste rapport with tobacco.  Kind of a nutty thing goin' on.  Could be my imagination, but it works for me.  The SH Squire is my favorite so far.  Thinking of getting another Pete as we speak.  I just discovered, after 50 years, that I prefer bent briars instead of straight when smoking at home. Gee whiz, I'm slow.

I have a love/hate relationship with Pete's! Love the shapes, I really do. But I absolutely hate the fills. Their QC is either pizz poor or they just don't give a $h!T!!! And I ain't talkin' low end pipes. I've found nasty fills in hi-enders also. They smoke great; but I hate knowing there is a fill in the supposedly hi-quality pipe I'm smoking!! OK, I'm done now!!! :evil: FTRPLT

Cartaphilus said:
To me I think it's mainly just aesthetics because I am one that likes to be able to pass a cleaner through a pipe after I'm done and when an obstruction gets in the way. I've never had a bad smoke in one but, only smoke one or two of the seven I own for the reason I stated above. There's also a great history with the company and many collect the older ones for there value which may also contribute to there sales. Although I won't recommend one, I can't say there a bad pipe, there just not my favorite pipe. ;) [/quot

Ron, I'll take all the Pete's you don't want, allowing you to refill your pipe racks, thus fueling that PAD :lol:

When I first took up the pipe, I was swooning over PetersoPeterson and the aura behind the brand. Then it came time to purchase my first semi expensive pipe, and of course I wanted a Pete! However, every Peterson I looked at at two different local shops had some kind of flaw-off kiltered stem, draft hole not drilled properly, crack in the bowl, oxidized stem... And on and on! So I bought a $70 Jobey that smokes like Crap. :x

To this day I still want a Pete, but when I do it is going to be a higher end, e.g. Sherlock Holmes or Rosslare.

Old Nate":c6o4rt04 said:
Ron, I'll take all the Pete's you don't want, allowing you to refill your pipe racks, thus fueling that PAD :lol
That'll be the day!

Old Nate":ulctm1ik said:
To this day I still want a Pete, but when I do it is going to be a higher end, e.g. Sherlock Holmes or Rosslare.
For the record, Peterson considers the Rosslare to be within their classic range, not their premium line. And while the Sherlock Holmes range is considered a premium line, Peterson admitted (at least at one point in time) that due to the demand for the product, they had slightly lower standards for Sherlock Holmes pipes than their true premium lines.

Nate I've got first dibs on his dying bones, back off or its whittlin knifes n whittlin sticks youngin.  :D

I don't currently have ANY Petes because I sold them all a few years back when I quit smoking.   But after old stanwells Petes were my favorite.

At some stage of my smoking career, I believed that "The thinking man smokes a Peterson".

I got rid of ALL my pipes when I quid smoking in 1987 and I regret it until today.

When I got back onto the pipe and started collecting from scratch, I bought Savinelli's first. After a while, I bought a new Peterson Limerick 150. What a disappointment! It is one of those of which the bowl was coated with road tar inside. Took me many months to get it smokable.

Then I bought another, a Donegal Rocky 80s. Same thing, road tar in the bowl.

Today, a couple of years later, both are favourite smokers of mine but.........never again!

I'm now shit scared of a Peterson and pass them by at a great distance.

On the other hand, ALL of my Savinelli's, cheap and high end, new and estate, are superb smokers. So I see no reason to run a risk and buy another Pete.

Dave_In_Philly":hhjw5hsl said:
Old Nate":hhjw5hsl said:
For the record, Peterson considers the Rosslare to be within their classic range, not their premium line. And while the Sherlock Holmes range is considered a premium line, Peterson admitted (at least at one point in time) that due to the demand for the product, they had slightly lower standards for Sherlock Holmes pipes than their true premium lines.

Hmm, they still charge a fair amount for those SH pipes! Eh, screw 'em, I'll stick to buying from New pipe makers.

Although I don't own many Peterson pipes I have a very strong bond with them, my late Da' loved Peterson pipes and of course me Da' was Irish born & bred, I'd like very much to own more of them, I have 9 of them currently and love them all dearly.

Peterson pipes have a thing with 'em. They smoke uniquely (might take some a bit of getting used to), they're usually pretty (Rocky Don models are questionable...), they have history, they're priced reasonably, and above all, the company will take care of you leaps-n-bounds.

I've never had a bad one. My first one did take a little learning, because the way they are drilled and set up, whether System or not, have dynamics that are very Peterson. Much like cobs, or the difference between driving an F150 or a Porsche 911, a hooker in Thailand versus a gal at the Shady Lady, different rides for different jobs. All can be well worth it.

8)

Just something about a Pete that I like. Got my first one back around '01 or so, a Flame Grain 999, and it's still one of my go-to pipes. Think it was the third pipe I ever bought, from a TB that I used to frequent. Added several more from that store and now have about 17 last count. Only had one that didn't work out and sold that off.

AAMOF I have a special order in at Peterson right now. Might take a few months to get it but it'll be worth it.

Cheers,

RR