Why do you smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I was just replying to Jesse's thread: Smoking, a dirty habit..., when I realized my reply was going off topic. So, I decided to post this question here and start a new topic rather than diluting his.

**************************************************************************************************************************

I see pipe smoking as a treat, an event, not to be abused or over enjoyed...like eating too much cheesecake or something. There's something fine, classic and classy about it, yet it's very down to earth, very thought provoking and very calming. I don't want these wonderful facets of pipe smoking to lose their luster for me.

In fact, lately I've realized that I've been smoking more frequently (once a day for the last week), and I've actually seen the enjoyment factor decline. I'm not "taking the time to smoke", I'm "fitting smoking in". I've been non-event smoking:fpalm: . That's not what I want pipe smoking to be about for me. I want to always work to keep pipe smoking about taking the time to smoke, and not just fitting it in.

That's what I used to love about cigars. I didn't mind paying $10 for a cigar, because I knew it was going to be an event, I knew it was something I was going to actually plan out. For me, I never liked to smoke half a cigar, put it away and come back to it later. That meant that if I was lighting a cigar up, I had already planned for at least an hour of uninterrupted smoking enjoyment. I spent the money, I was going to make the most of it, like an investment.

However, since I've been smoking pipes, I almost rarely ever have a cigar. I just prefer pipes these days. But, I've found I actually have to fight to keep the same mindset of planning a time to enjoy my pipe. Seeing that a pipe holds much less tobacco, I don't feel as guilty about smoking only half way through. The financial commitment isn't as strong for me, and neither is the guilt I guess. So in a bad way, I find it easier to not plan, light a pipe, and see how far I can get through it before something more pressing calls me away, and that's not what I want pipe smoking to be for me.

I love the ceremony of walking into my closet and pondering the various blends of tobacco I have, and pairing one to my current mood, or even the mood I want to soon be in, followed only by selecting the perfect pipe. Will this be a lean back in my porch swing, hands off, clenching my pipe session, or will it be a sitting at the table, where my pipe never leaves my hand session? It all makes a difference to me.

So to answer my own question, I smoke pipe to take time to think about life, evaluate, to decompress, to spend with friends in good conversation, to think of nothing at all, to contemplate, to pray, to work through emotions, to enjoy. I want to make the most of it. I want to look forward to it. I want to explore different blends, tastes, preparation and packing. I want it to be a special event, a time tucked away in my life that adds to my existence here.

I couldn't have stated it better myself.

I have to have processes and order in my life to feel relaxed. It's getting worse as I get older. Pipes fit in beautifully though.

Pipe smoking is a lot like fishing solo. I really love the ritual and the solitude. Now... smoking a pipe while fishing? Whoa! I may get too relaxed and drown.

I'm one of the baser sort, I smoke a pipe because I enjoy smoking, I've been smoking pipes since I was 12 years old, smoked roll-ups and Camels from 7 until 12, smoking wasn't a choice in the places I grew up in, you smoked or you faced the consequences from the older boys. My Da' used to smoke a pipe and his Da' before him and so on and so on and all smoked for the same reason, to smoke, there was no lofty purpose to it, just smoking tobacco pure and simple. Yup, makes me a bit of a caveman I know but there it is.

Relaxation

Meditation

Contemplation

Fraternally

Jers

I'm in the same boat as Kirk on this. I smoke just to smoke. I enjoy the flavors, the ritual and the relaxation of it. My dad and grandfather and uncles all smoked cigars so I always loved the smell of fine tobacco, pipes just seemed like a better approach for me though.

Very relaxing.

The hardware pipers use is something else that is nice to "keep and bear," even though we don't have our own amendment.

Has a lot of interesting lore connected with it.

Allows improvement. Basic skills are needed to get started, but you can make it as hard as you want. Or keep it simple.

Anti-PC.

Be serious here for a minute, Bros, and not just running on auto-pilot.

If you like something -- anything -- you just like it, and that's that. There aren't any reasons involved.

Tobacco is a dirty weed.

I like it.

It satisfies no mortal need.

I like it . . .
Reasons are the way the commanding self rationalises whatever it's stuck having to account for in order to maintain the pretense that the thinkety brain's in the driver's seat.

It's not. It's like Howard Cosell in the broadcast booth -- describing the action it's watching.

Nobody has a reason for doing anything he likes.

De gustibus non disputandem.

:face:

I also did a lot of Ashtanga Yoga and Gojo Ryu Karate for much the same reasons as I smoke a pipe........

I have a brother who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day - he also smokes a pipe.......but for different reasons.

Fraternally

Jers

I enjoy tobacco and rituals, especially futzing about with things. Then I developed a palate and I really enjoy smoking. Three bowls a day is a happy day for me. The problem is its cutting into my cycling time! Way easier to read a book with my pipe then to go ride a bike in the dirt.

somedumbjerk":p1f33o2a said:
Way easier to read a book with my pipe then to go ride a bike in the dirt.
Not really the same thing but sort of, this so reminds of my days as a Biker, I miss my bike and my leathers.

Relaxation, Meditation,Contemplation and NICOTINE!

It is an enjoyment factor. It extends to beverages and food. Simple pleasures that make life better.

Hermit":cij1j4d4 said:
'Cause a hundred kilos of tobacco ain't gonna smoke itself.  :twisted: 
A hundred kilos?!?   Damn.  I'll being a sixpack of good beer and be right over.  What's your address again?

And to get back on topic, I like the taste and cerimony of it, and it "forces" me to sit and be calm for a bit. Rather like a meditation for me.

Natch

I LIIIIIIIIIIIIKE tobacco ! Been doing it for so long now, I'd feel nekid without a lit pipe in my mouth :twisted: :twisted: 

JKenP":4ct8ap3l said:
It is an enjoyment factor.  It extends to beverages and food.  Simple pleasures that make life better.

Same here. Something that's within reach and yet luxurious.

“Pipe smoking is not a habit…but a way of life”…PeterD

...This has been my creed for a long time...For almost 53 years I have enjoyed the ritual, contemplation, wonderment, spiritual, & ceremonial aspect of the pipe. Preparing the tobacco, choosing the pipe, all have become a way of life for me...It is one of those passions I enjoy more than most anything.

I also appreciate both the "art" and "science" of pipe smoking as well...

deepbass9":ckuwepwc said:
Something that's within reach and yet luxurious.
Absolutely. Overlooked that angle.

You probably can't drive an Italian sports car or visit faraway friends in your private jet. But though you might have to save for a while to do it, you can smoke the same great tobacco in the same great pipe that the yacht club guy does.

Parity  8) 

Yak":nnw7ea3k said:
deepbass9":nnw7ea3k said:
Something that's within reach and yet luxurious.
Absolutely. Overlooked that angle.

You probably can't drive an Italian sports car or visit faraway friends in your private jet. But though you might have to save for a while to do it, you can smoke the same great tobacco in the same great pipe that the yacht club guy does.

Parity  8) 

now i want to go to a yacht club wearing carhartd and smoking prince albert in a cob...