Why do you smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":6bzyetm0 said:
I smoke, therefore I am.

:joker: 

Cheers,

RR
Yes, there is a big existential component to smoking and my enjoyment of the activity. I have never considered my smoking as a "hobby" and more or less cringe a little when I see that description. I smoke in the same vein as I drink coffee. I have favorite coffee blends, like my pipe tobaccos, but do not spend time consuming more blends (or either) as a goal. This also applies to my beer, my bourbon, and my scotch. I do see how a hobby could evolve in any of these, but for me, no, it's just something I do.

Down enough Muscatel and any tobacco is perfect.

In fact...

Everything is perfect.

Ad from my shallow youth:

What's the word?
Thunderbird!
What's the price?
50 twice.

There is one perfectly apt term in English for pipeheads, but nobody uses it.

Well, English people do, but the pipe enthusiasts there don't seem to have made the connection with it.

"He fancies a bit of ______ now and then." The British magazine for cat lovers is "Cat Fancy."

We are Pipe Fanciers. We fancy pipes. We combine interest with enjoyment with paying attention to them. There's a little corner of our heads devoted to them.

I don't expect anyone will adopt this. It's just been bugging me when people grope for the term that fits and come up short.

:face:

Yak":fc1bzmku said:
We are Pipe Fanciers. We fancy pipes. We combine interest with enjoyment with paying attention to them. There's a little corner of our heads devoted to them.

I don't expect anyone will adopt this. It's just been bugging me when people grope for the term that fits and come up short.
I fancy this! ^
I love pipes, and fortunately, there is a tasty, relaxing use for them.
My Sunday morning pipe ritual is my little corner of solitary happiness.
When my kid wakes up, it's happiness of a completely different kind...

I enjoy the taste of tobacco, the smell, the way a pipe feels in the hand, looking at the pipes on the rack and tins in the cellar and the cigars in the humidor, the ritual of the whole thing, and enjoying the whole thing in solitude or in the company of others. I'm happy to adopt the term "pipe fancier" as it's probably the most suitable label I've heard (collector, pipester, pipe smoker, etc...none of the really cover enough of the bases to really fit)...at the end of the day, I just really, really dig it.

I've thought about this question quite a bit. Initially it was go give me a connection with family members who smoked without taking up cigarettes. Now it is part of my identity. I try to cultivate hobbies, thoughts, and relationships that develop me into the person I am and want to become. A love of tobacco, fine craftsmanship, and tradition are an inextricable part of that identity.

“Pipe smoking is not a habit…but a way of life”…PeterD

I think this explains it best for me..thanks PeterD...for summing it up for me.

...and thus it is true.

I came to pipes and pipe tobacco from cigars. I started smoking cigars in my 20's, but didn't get serious about smoking at least one cigar a day until I was in my 40's.

In my 20's when I began smoking cigars, I would go in and buy 1 cigar every 2 to 3 months, but once I started smoking cigars daily, I began to frequent my local tobacconist on a regular basis. I found that I really enjoyed browsing the pipes while I smoked a good cigar, however the prices for the ones that really caught my eye turned me off completely.

I got impulsive one day, and decided I would splurge and allow myself to spend around $100 for a pipe and a tin of tobacco. My tobacconist told me he would let me have a really nice sitter for $125, that was marked $150, and also threw in a tin of tobacco for the same price. I was really stoked until he told me after the sale, that it would take my briar pipe a week to dry out after each smoke. It immediately registered with me, that I would need around 7 to 10 pipes at least, to enjoy the hobby properly. The math instantly totaled around $1000 in my mind. Tongue bite solidified the advice to buy multiple pipes, and allow them time enough to dry.

Once I got a little money invested, it was easy to buy additional pipes when convenient to do so.

Why do I smoke? Because I have so much money invested in this hobby, I can't afford not to. However, I have always believed in the adage, "If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing." :face: 

Additionally, I really enjoy the ritual of preparing my tobacco, loading my pipe, as well as the relaxation it provides. I also enjoy cleaning and maintaining my pipes, similar to the way I maintain my guns. A pipe collection has a lot of parallels with a gun collection. Both hold most of their value, and both are fantastic representations of functional art.

Hermit said it, because my tobacco ain't gonna smoke itself.

Yak said it, because I like it, and I fancy it.

More personally, it, like BoB, is a friend within reach. I fixate on a lot of things too intently. People chide about addiction, moral attitude, etc, but when it comes down to it, it's my contemplative "re-evaluate time." Happens in the morning and the evening, preferably during sunrise and sunset, my favorite times of day.

I don't grab a pipe when I'm stressed, because it requires too much attention. When my attention is not on the pipe, I get sloppy. Sloppy pipes are no fun, they're overheated from being pushed, frustrating from being non-satisfactory, and won't provide me with what I need versus actually addressing any problems...and THEN smoking a pipe.

I don't "slow down" often. The pipe forces me to do just that. Like Aikido, detailed work and good conversations with good friends. They take effort, poise, thoughtfulness and kata. That's my mode, or goal in any case, therefore, I might as well also like what I do. If I like it, I keep doing it, and to very positive and beneficial effect.

:heart:

8)

I smoke tobacco for relaxation. The relaxation of the tobacco itself and the time I take to smoke it.

I smoke pipes for the ritual.

And pipes are attractive.

MisterE":s7gpu2c9 said:
Kyle Weiss":s7gpu2c9 said:
Because you pay the bills and say so,  E.    :lol:
I've been explaining that for years to no effect.  :lol!: 
:lol: "Because I'm awesome." You can borrow my typical answer, then. :p