Why I Rarely Ever Review Pipe Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Many years ago, I wrote a review of a house brand cigar that I'd purchased at a major internet vendor. The review appeared on the vendor's website on the cigar's sales page. Within the first minute of smoking the cigar, I knew that it was identical to the maker's branded and much higher priced cigar. I alluded to that in my review, via an obtuse suggestion. My review was the first for that cigar.

About a week later, I got a phone call from the editor of the company's catalog. Would I object to having the review in the print catalog? I asked if there was a problem of some sort. He replied, "You wrote some magic words. After your review appeared, we sold out hundreds of boxes of that cigar. We sold three month's inventory in three days."

I expected to be offered some recompense, but that didn't come. But I did decide that folks all have different taste profiles and chemistry. What if I gave a glowing review, lots of folks bought the product, and I'd steered 'em into a cliff. So, I rarely, if ever, write reviews anymore.