Why Is Membership Small and Participation So Light?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I registered at Brothers of Briar shortly after it began. Until recently, I was an infrequent poster. Activity is sporadic and total membership is small compared to other Pipe/tobacco forums. Another BoB member suggested that I drop by another forum which has an active DIY blending subforum. It has 20K members and appears to average several hundred posts per day.
What is the formula and/or secret to increasing membership, topics and posts at BoB?

This happens to most forums, don't know really why but, I've belonged to most the Pipe Smoking forums that are out there
and it eventually happens. Some have gone by the ways side because of it as you probably know.
Maybe lack of interest, got boring, or a few members which are Trolls ruin it for the rest. People get tired of hearing and
or dealing with them and leave. Talking Politics can add to it also, we all know the fastest way to get in an argument is
to talk politics. And I reckon as a group a forum can get rather cliquey which also may drive people away. Pick one.

I too posted a similar query titled "BoB's Online Presence" and several members replied that they prefer the forum small, so that they can really know the personalities of those involved. Well yeah, I wouldn't want to scroll through hundreds of entries by members I knew nothing about, but I think it is safe to say I could easily handle more participation than what is typical on BoB. I remember one week in August when other than a few vapid entries on the weather and one on fishing there wasn't a single tobacco-related post by anyone. I know a lot of members here like the diversity of discussion topics but I come here almost exclusively for the pipe and tobacco discussions.

I think part of the issue is that forums are a dying breed, and people are more interested in following YouTube channels or virtual pipe clubs.

Nothing is done to keep it small. There is no reason it should not grow. There is a place (sub-forum) for everyone and if needed we can create more. The basic rules are quite modest. And, it's not the wild west.

There was a problem with the former web service that would sometimes not allow a potential user to sign up. Had to do with the Spam service they were trying to implement. There was no workaround. But even that should not have been a major deterrent.

Forums dying is something I have seen mentioned often. Social media seems to be where it's at. We do, or did have a Facebook page. And I do use it, but really hate a number of things about Facebook. Maybe we are headed for the trash heap like alt.smoking.pipes and others. It's been awhile, but a blowup at one of the forums can cause a influx of new blood.

I do not see the Facebook page any longer. What is there is not us.

The forum activity can be slow but the information it contains provides a large amount of reading. Sometimes I go back to the initial threads and read forward. Posting initial topics on pipes and pipe tobacco is not in my wheelhouse. Still a noob on those and I'm happy to read other's information on those topics. Cigars are my go to relax time activity still.

Life change and seasons of life affect one’s participation. I used to be very active here and at one other forum. Those took a backseat as I finished my Master’s program.

I have always been intentional with my time. With two kids now in High School, I am doubly so.

I am glad for the new software. It makes a huge difference!

I will observe things ebb and flow.

What makes any forum interesting is the group of people and unique content. I will second's Ron's observation about politics.

No complaints from me. I love reading thru all of them. Yes, some of the forums are repetitive and usually cover the same territory, but I don't care. I'm just grateful that some dedicated administrators and fellow members can give a venue, and a place to go and read-all-the-latest, for us pipe smokers. Many, many, thanks and kudos! Even when and if the forums get a little "boring"...they're still better than reading thru any fake-newspaper.

Many years ago Tom Dunne's: "The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris" was the only publication pipe-smokers had, and it came in the mail very infrequently since it was self-published and hand typed. Tom provided a great service to the world of pipe-smokers, but all these newer, up-to-date, internet pipe forums can do what Tom's ephemeris could never do. We get to shop at home and read thru all the latest topics.

In all honesty, I do a minimum of posting comments. I'm just not that interesting, and I am not one to put into print, every thought that comes into my head. I don't mind sharing, but venting/complaining, ain't my thing...because, who gives a fig? Trolling and confrontational members are annoying, and childish, but some guys just have to whip out the rulers. I quickly lose interest in confrontational comments.

But, that's what forums are. Good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks one and all for giving me something interesting to read while enjoying my morning coffee.

Only been on here a few months now, but have to say I really enjoy BoB. Since I took up piping again maybe 4 years ago I have learned more about pipes and tobaccos on this forum than I did in 4 years of just reading the ads and reviews on the websites. My thanks to all those who have imparted info that I find very useful. If it were not for gents like Brunello I would probably never have discovered Hobbits Weed, one of my new favorites. Only downside is my TAD list is now longer than my arm and may never be completely fullfilled, lol. Lastly I would much rather read posts on here than the crap that comes up on facebook. Everyone here is at least respectful of others which I admire greatly.

Many years ago Tom Dunne's: "The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris" was the only publication pipe-smokers had, and it came in the mail very infrequently since it was self-published and hand typed. Tom provided a great service to the world of pipe-smokers, but all these newer, up-to-date, internet pipe forums can do what Tom's ephemeris could never do. We get to shop at home and read thru all the latest topics.
I can get more from rereading a 30 year old Ephemeris than I get from the pipe boards but I still come back and enjoy scanning them all daily! I really enjoy some of the specialized Facebook pipe groups. You get collectors from all over the world who you can geek out with. I spend a lot of time on IG too. It's mostly pictures (many like The Dark Lord's are pro quality!) but I've had some great interactions with collectors in the comments. I'm defiantly not a good photographer but I have some pipe pictures posted under my @daveinlax handle. :geek:
PS I just discovered BoB member/buddy @BriarBeagle 's IG page yesterday. He's got some great pipe pictures the you'll want to see!

Last edited:
Actually, participation has picked up significantly owing to the new provider. We have a number of new members as well as older ones who dropped off the radar who are coming back.

That said we've always been a somewhat small site. That is not a negative IMO and we've maintained a civil atmosphere through the years. And that has everything to do with the respect each of has for one another.

Cheers,

RR

Actually, participation has picked up significantly owing to the new provider. We have a number of new members as well as older ones who dropped off the radar who are coming back.

That said we've always been a somewhat small site. That is not a negative IMO and we've maintained a civil atmosphere through the years. And that has everything to do with the respect each of has for one another.

Cheers,

RR
Yes, I think this has been a a good move. I think we have the finest looking forum of the three big ones that I know about. But I just did another Google search on
"Pipe Smoking Forums" and BoB still doesn't come up until the fourth page. I think a search engine enhancement from the provider would catch all relevant search words and move us up some more on the list.

On Duck Duck Go it is the 9th listing on the first page for me. Those above us are new(ish), multiple listings, or also running newer software than I recall the last time I visited. We have the largest number of members of those listed. That is probably because of the smooth change made from the old software to the new not requiring all members to re-register. So our membership list may be years older.

I've seen participation and membership go up and down in the years since I've been a member. Seems like it comes in cycles. It's slow now, but in a couple of months there'll be a wave of new members and daily posts by all will greatly increase.