Why isn't home blending more popular?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just catching up to this thread now. Interesting discussion. I've debated trying my hand at growing some tobacco plants and processing a home blend, but when it gets right down to it, I have enough baccy in my cellar to last longer than I will.... :D

ontariopiper":3e2c7yvm said:
I'm just catching up to this thread now. Interesting discussion. I've debated trying my hand at growing some tobacco plants and processing a home blend, but when it gets right down to it, I have enough baccy in my cellar to last longer than I will.... :D

Wait until you're my age and you know there's 100 tins of Dunhill hiding in the basement. LOL

When the 1000 year old man (Mel Brooks) was asked how he managed to live to 1000 years, he replied, "Before I go to bed at night I chew lots of raw garlic. When the Angel of Death knocks at my door, I open it carefully, and into his face I say, Whoooo is it? One smell of my breath and boy does he run away."

I was bombed in September. Someone sent blending tobaccos: smyrna, yellow Virginia, and Perique. So, I'm ready to blend! I'm a big perique fan, so this will be fun.

Totally off topic.

I noticed some comments were written using a much larger font. How does one choose the size font? I find it difficult to see comments when they are posted in tiny print.

So how can I control the font size when I write comments, etc? Thanks.

BriarPipeNYC":62c35qzj said:
Totally off topic.

I noticed some comments were written using a much larger font.  How does one choose the size font?  I find it difficult to see comments when they are posted in tiny print.  

So how can I control the font size when I write comments, etc?  Thanks.
In the icon boxes above where you write, look for the capital A with an arrow pointing up and down. This is located in the bottom row, second box from the left. If you hover your cursor over it it will display font size. Click on it, choose your size, then write your post in between the boxes. FYI it won't appear larger when you write it.

Alternatively you can first write your post, then highlight it, and finally click on the font size icon and choose your size.

You can always preview your post before sending to double check.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":vg8i06ir said:
BriarPipeNYC":vg8i06ir said:
Totally off topic.

I noticed some comments were written using a much larger font.  How does one choose the size font?  I find it difficult to see comments when they are posted in tiny print.  

So how can I control the font size when I write comments, etc?  Thanks.
In the icon boxes above where you write, look for the capital A with an arrow pointing up and down. This is located in the bottom row, second box from the left. If you hover your cursor over it it will display font size. Click on it, choose your size, then write your post in between the boxes. FYI it won't appear larger when you write it.

Alternatively you can first write your post, then highlight it, and finally click on the font size icon and choose your size.

You can always preview your post before sending to double check.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
This will work to make your own comments larger but everybody else's will still appear small and difficult to read. I don't know about this on a phone but on a computer all you have to do is hit Control "Ctrl" and the plus sign "+" and it will make everything larger. Just keep clicking until you get a size you like. On my computer I can go as large as 250% without cutting off any material. It works the other way too: Control and minus sign. This works on any website or PDF document. :study:

thedeep":s059hr36 said:
I was bombed in September. Someone sent blending tobaccos: smyrna, yellow Virginia, and Perique. So, I'm ready to blend! I'm a big perique fan, so this will be fun.
Let us know what you come up with. If I were just starting to tinker with these components, knowing that you are a big fan of Perique I'd start with
4 parts (66%) yellow Virginia
1 part (16%) Turksih
1 part (16%) Perique.

I enjoy a blend by C&D called Orion's Arrow that uses similar components: 2/4 Virginia, 1/4 Turkish, and 1/4 Perique (that's 25%) and I love it. But for most tastes 25% or even 16% will be a bit high in Perique. Just do it small batches to trial instead of committing your whole supply.

These components should work well together but if you find they have differing moisture content one trick that I learned from Glynn Quelch to speed up the melding of flavors is to put your trial batch in a baggie, squeeze out the air, and put it your pocket for a day as you do all your normal activities. The body heat will help everything marry nicely.

Have fun! :sunny:

RSteve":smesrzin said:
For whatever reasons, the majority of P.S. blending tobaccos, I've used previously, are, for the most part, no longer available at smokingpipes.com, 4noggins.com, pipesandcigars.com, or tobaccopipes.com. On the recent blend, I've moved, with some trepidation to primarily Sutliff. Trepidation, because I've rarely used Sutliff component tobaccos.
Cup O' Joes is also out of some selections ... hopefully the importer/distributor will have a new shipment soon.

I know all of these components except the Sutliff B20. I've had good use for some of the Sutliff Virginias like the large cut 575 (I call them "Corn Flakes"), 515 Matured, 507 Stoved, and 707 ready rubbed. Their TS-3 natural brown Cavendish is also very versatile.

I'm not dedicated to one blending supplier as I prefer C&D for Burley, Perique and dark-fired. I do like PS 310 BC because it melds more unobtrusively to any blend than Lane BCA, and whatever you do avoid Lane MV-1000 Golden Virginia as it burns hotter than a firecracker!

Anyhow, let us know how it all comes together! :)

Sutliff TS20 Louisiana Perique  2 oz.

Sutliff TS24 Blended Turkish   2 oz.

Sutliff 507-S Stoved Virginia  2 oz.

Sutliff 515 RC-1 Red Virginia  2 oz.

Peter Stokkebye PS 310 Black latakia 6 oz.

Sutliff B20 Black Cavendish 3 oz.
I've only smoked two bowls and that was very soon after delivery and mixing. I like it as it is, but I am very acclimated to English blends with 50+% latakia. This blend currently has 6/17=35.3% latakia. I've ordered 4 oz. additional latakia. When I add that to the current mixture, latakia will total 10 of 21 oz., about 48%.

RSteve":inyu8yi2 said:
Sutliff TS20 Louisiana Perique  2 oz.

Sutliff TS24 Blended Turkish   2 oz.

Sutliff 507-S Stoved Virginia  2 oz.

Sutliff 515 RC-1 Red Virginia  2 oz.

Peter Stokkebye PS 310 Black latakia 6 oz.

Sutliff B20 Black Cavendish 3 oz.
I've only smoked two bowls and that was very soon after delivery and mixing. I like it as it is, but I am very acclimated to English blends with 50+% latakia. This blend currently has 6/17=35.3% latakia. I've ordered 4 oz. additional latakia. When I add that to the current mixture, latakia will total 10 of 21 oz., about 48%.
Well, the Old Lion still roars! Happy Birthday!

I'm on a temporary hiatus from smoking but looking forward to continued explorations of your blending suggestions.

I keep one jar of your original posting "Lion's Mantle" and another I call "Excalibur" where I bumped up the Latakia to 56.25% and replaced one portion of the 515 with the stoved 507 as follows:

9/16 Lat
2/16 Sutliff 515
1/16 Sutliff 507
1/16 Perique
1/16 dark fired
1/16 Turkish (C&D Izmir)
1/16 Oriental (Bulgarian Basma)

It's not as potent as it sounds. Good stuff! :lol:

Brunello":o0x3zal7 said:
I'm on a temporary hiatus from smoking but looking forward to continued explorations of your blending suggestions.  
Thank you for the birthday greeting. I hope to have a few more birthdays with most of my sanity still intact.
I certainly hope your hiatus isn't health related, but if it is, hurry up and get healthy!

I think I may have lost my mind, or at least the ability to count. I wrote earlier,

"I've only smoked two bowls and that was very soon after delivery and mixing. I like it as it is, but I am very acclimated to English blends with 50+% latakia. This blend currently has 6/17=35.3% latakia. I've ordered 4 oz. additional latakia. When I add that to the current mixture, latakia will total 10 of 21 oz., about 48%."

One would have thought that I'd have ordered 5 more oz. of latakia for a total of 11 oz. of latakia of a total of 22 oz. or 50%.