Why Many Car Dealers Have Bad Reputations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Subaru Legacy sedan with all the tricks and toys....heated seats and mirrors, etc. It looks like new and has 39K miles. I got this email today:

Steve, your Subaru is in high demand and we'd love to help you into a brand-new Subaru.

Your Legacy holds its value for the long haul—and right now, vehicles like yours are in high demand, making it difficult to keep them on our lot. Plus, now you are eligible for our Subaru Trade Up Advantage Program® which can get you into a new Subaru for lower or similar monthly payments.
Check out your personalized Trade Up Advantage offer below and schedule a test drive today.±
Our sales associate has created this personalized trade up offer just for your 2017 Subaru Legacy Premium with 39,030 miles based on average payment information for customers in our area with the same vehicle and projected mileage.
This could be your new 2021 Subaru Legacy Premium equipped with EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology, and Apple CarPlay™ & Android Auto™ Integration, plus the confidence that comes with standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive for less than you might expect.^

NEW LOAN OF $344.31 per month with your trade-in
OFFER EXPIRES: 1/1/2021
I responded:
This must be a joke or misprint. Trade my 3-year old Legacy with 40K easy miles that I own outright for a similar vehicle, but a few years newer for a $344 monthly car payment.
I wasn't able to comfortably retire 20 years ago at age 56, by engaging in foolish deals like the one offered.
My next vehicle purchase will be in 2025 for 100% electric.

The day before the dealership sent this offer:
$25.00 Off
TIRES FOR YOUR SUBARU
Save $25 off a set of four new tires.
I replied:
Thank you for the promotional offer. At my recent oil change, the tread measurement was 7/32. I was advised that 3/32 is the appropriate time for replacement. I should add that your promotional discount of $6.25 per tire is significantly more insult than offer. Perhaps, you should consider being competitive with Costco, Sam's Club, Firestone, and Goodyear.

Here in Blighty we call them ‘Main Stealers’.

There must be folks out there though who think that’s a good deal?!!

I used to work at a Ford dealership. Family owned and operated. Very good to their employees. The Service side was there to help and support the customer in every way possible. The Sales side was there to squeeze every possible dime from the customer in every way possible. The Manufacturing side was there to successfully compete with other brands in delivering the most advanced technology, made to last, giving safety above all in every way possible. So...exceptional cars and trucks supported by a highly trained and motivated service team...sold by a ruthless band of land sharks whose sole goal was getting ALL your money. Yup. That’s how they stayed in business against other dealers of the same brand and a huge number of other brands that do exactly the same thing.

Paid cash for my used truck at the Ford dealer. He flat out told me to take out a loan from the bank, through them, so he could make an additional $400.00. Some customer service right there.

Bought myself my first brand new car in 39 years in August 2018! Found pretty much just what I wanted; negotiated a really good price with the sales manager. Then on to the finance guy, and all his bull$hit!! First, he wants to sell me "gap" insurance, extended warranty, etc., etc. He's not happy to all my "No" replies. Then I get ready to write the check for my new car. "Oh no, he says!" $1,000.00 of the agreed upon price was contingent on my financing the purchase!! "First I've heard of it, says I!!" Then I ask him if I can finance it through my local credit union. Yep, he says...And I do...For three days!!! While I'm waiting for him to to do all the damn paperwork, I call my credit union; arranging for the loan to be paid off as soon as it hits the books!! Took six days to be routed and cleared. I have no idea what, if anything, the dealership received for all this! Cost me about $.75 in ultra short-term interest to save another grand!!! Plus, I never went back to that dealership for all my "freebies" and/or warranty work! I use a dealer closer to my home when I need to do so!!

Then on to the finance guy, and all his bull$hit!! First, he wants to sell me "gap" insurance, extended warranty, etc., etc. He's not happy to all my "No" replies. Then I get ready to write the check for my new car.
I went through the identical situation. He tried to sell me so much "air and blue sky:" Finally, I said, "Look, this is a straight cash deal. I write a check and drive away. If this doesn't work, I buy elsewhere after I talk to the sales manager." I did talk to the sales manager, who was equally full of crap, but ultimately admitted that the finance guy only gets paid based on the ad ons to the car's price. I wrote a check and took the car. A few days later I wrote a review that appeared on several review websites. Within a week, I received a letter from the COO of the company that owns about 35 dealerships in Mpls.-St. Paul offering me multiple "incentives" to pull the review. There was no way I'd remove the review.

Yep, I hate buying cars, especially from a dealer. Used to buy all my vehicles from private sellers. Did not buy a new car in 27 years. When we moved to Prescott from socal realized I needed. 4WD. Found a great 2012 Ram Laramie loaded with only 20k miles. Got it out the door for 31k. Truck now has 30k and looks brand new. Will last me until I croak, lol. I get the same thing from dealer. People looking for a truck like yours,,Duh? Get a great trade in on a new Ram. Only thing is a new 2020 Ram 1500 like mine with same equipment is 65 to 70k. So, no and hell no. Not trading.

The closing paperwork is always the worst part of the experience. The closer has all sorts of ways of trying to get you to add on crap you don't need or want. Next time I have to go through this it will be on-line. Had a buddy buy a new truck recently that way and he said it was relatively painless.

Cheers,

RR

My younger daughter has a 2012 Kia Sorento SUV that we bought in 2015, cash deal. It was from a dealer and a lease return, certified used. We paid less than half of a new 2015 model. The vehicle still looks new and has been well maintained. The dealership constantly sends her emails telling her they have a buyer for her Sorento and that her trade value is well beyond Blue Book. As the tires hit the road, the trade value if clearly offset by an inflated price.
A friend, now retired salesman for a Toyota dealership, advises buy used certified from a dealer with impeccable on-line reviews or lease new only if on a sign and drive, NOTHING down. "The sign and drive monthly payment should include licensing, taxes, etc. or walk." He says he's never bought a new car in his life.

Yep about the closing BS. In Tucson, Ford dealer had a bunch of rental leasebacks from Hertz. Thunderbirds, nice cars, loaded for the times, 1994. Had one 10 months old, 9k miles, still under warranty. Got a good price, 12,200. Closer, finance guy, offered loan at 1%. As it was less than what I was making on interest in the bank at the time, decided to finance. Ahole then tried to "upsell" me. Extended warranty, mop and slop paint protection, even undercoat, which was standard on all fords in 1994, sun shield, in AZ? Said no to all, just write up the paper work. After 10 min of him still trying to talk me into crap, I said, look if you don't have my paperwork ready to sign in 5 min I am walking out, and I will tell the sales mgr you lost him a sale. He had it done in 2 min flat. Lol.

Yep about the closing BS. In Tucson, Ford dealer had a bunch of rental leasebacks from Hertz. Thunderbirds, nice cars, loaded for the times, 1994. Had one 10 months old, 9k miles, still under warranty. Got a good price, 12,200. Closer, finance guy, offered loan at 1%. As it was less than what I was making on interest in the bank at the time, decided to finance. Ahole then tried to "upsell" me. Extended warranty, mop and slop paint protection, even undercoat, which was standard on all fords in 1994, sun shield, in AZ? Said no to all, just write up the paper work. After 10 min of him still trying to talk me into crap, I said, look if you don't have my paperwork ready to sign in 5 min I am walking out, and I will tell the sales mgr you lost him a sale. He had it done in 2 min flat. Lol.

Good on you Ranger. That's the way to do it!

Cheers,

RR

We just recently bought a new car, want a nightmare at the dealership but not the smoothest operation. They didn't seen to want to take it money when we went to pay. Finance guy obviously tried to push their financing. We have him the debit card and he asked how much we wanted to put down we just looked at him and said, "all of it", he said he couldn't do that so we ok and went to leave. He asked about doing a wire transfer but since they took so long to do the paper work the bank was closed and the bank app only let us do about half the cost. This was a Friday evening so they basically said, come in Monday morning when the bank opens. They slapped some dealer tags on the car and let us take it anyway, trusting we would come back.

Can't blame them for trying. A lot of people don't want a car after the warrenty expires. We've found Subaru dealers to be by far the best car buying/trading experience we ever had. :geek:

We just recently bought a new car, want a nightmare at the dealership but not the smoothest operation. They didn't seen to want to take it money when we went to pay. Finance guy obviously tried to push their financing. We have him the debit card and he asked how much we wanted to put down we just looked at him and said, "all of it", he said he couldn't do that so we ok and went to leave. He asked about doing a wire transfer but since they took so long to do the paper work the bank was closed and the bank app only let us do about half the cost. This was a Friday evening so they basically said, come in Monday morning when the bank opens. They slapped some dealer tags on the car and let us take it anyway, trusting we would come back.
And did you? Lol

The dealership that suggested I trade in my 3-year old Subaru Legacy on a 2021 and incur a $344 monthly payment has emailed me with various offers of sales and service almost every day since that first offer. I filled in the unsubscribe form, but it hasn't mattered.