Why Old Folks Don't Have Young Kids

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Since distance learning began in the public schools, I've taken care of my youngest granddaughter at my house, minimum three days a week; 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, sometimes more. My daughter's father-in-law fills in Tuesday and Thursday at my daughter's house, 9:00 am to noon. It began when my granddaughter was 7 months old; now 17 months. I committed through the end of the school year. Today was a very easy day with her and I am exhausted beyond description. I figure I have about 55 more actual days of childcare. Then we'll see if I have postpartum depression. I doubt it! LOL (On some Wednesdays and Fridays I also have the 6-year-old grandaughter, too.)

I don't know if home schooling is a reason but alcohol sales are up.

Kudos to you RSteve ! Keeping up with young grandkids can be exhausting and is a huge responsibility.
Thankfully, kids rarely remember much of their lives until age 2. Sophia, I believe, spends far more one on one time with me than her parents, because she has two siblings 6 and 4.5. When I'm at my daughter's house, if Sophia is upset, she doesn't run to her father or mother, but to me. It's really quite peculiar to me that when I change her nasty diaper, she laughs and giggles, but when her parents change her, she cries and puts up a fuss.
In retrospect, I find it incredulous that I accepted the responsibility when she was still just a baby. Now, she runs around the house, up and down stairs, tugs at the refrigerator door when she wants me to make her lunch. And today, with no child care, I have to rest because tomorrow, I have Sophia and the six-year-old granddaughter.

I've got 'em both today, then the parents and grandson will join us for supper. Last night, I butchered and ground a boneless leg of lamb and 5 lbs. of chicken breast. Most of the ground lamb and chicken will be frozen for later meals, but tonight, it's lamb or chicken burgers, fries, and coleslaw.

I may have to skip eating supper myself. The last diaper change was other worldly. I have lost my appetite, maybe, forever.