Why we choose the pipes we do

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting the preference of bent pipes vs. straight pipes.

Other than some old Kaywoodies I only really have one straight pipe that I would consider in my rotation, and that one doesn't see much action. I am a bent pipe man!

I guess my mental Image of what a pipe should be came from family holiday dinners & summer picnics on the shores of lake Michigan. My Mom's father & both of her brothers smoked pipes.
Mom's baby brother { also named Jim } played college Basketball and I was in Awe of him
at the time he was the biggest man I had seen in my Whole life, why he was even bigger'n my Dad. Please note, in my whole life was'nt much, I was only 6 or 7 then! but I digress.
Back then the pipe smokers only smoked Classic shapes and then mostly straight Shanked ones.
Again bear in mind there were only 3 pipe smokers in "my" known Universe.
Bottom line is, when I think Pipe, it's got a straight shank, be it Apple, billiard, Canadian, Lovat.
Not to say I don't have other shapes { Never ever pass up a freebie }

Justpipes":6k2jwkc0 said:
Interesting the preference of bent pipes vs. straight pipes.
I missed the references to bent vs straight in my earlier post to this thread. My first choice would have to be bent, then quarter bent. It may relate to the only pipe smoker I knew growing up, which was the dad of one of my best friends. He only had one pipe which was a full bent heavy old beat up pipe which he only smoked Sir Walter Raleigh in. I never saw him without this pipe. To this day when I see a similar pipe I'm reminded of him. :pipe:

i started off smoking straights.. there ok for just putzaround pipes but yeah i prefer bents. my colection now is probly a good 50 50 blend.. and i got pipes of all makes and models a good mix of 2 or 3 of each brand. with about 12 or so one off pipes.
when it comes to types i realy like my kaywoodie drinkless pipes.. there just rugged.. sadly i dont know anybody that can fix em right off the bat i got a few that i cant smoke anymore due to cracks or holes in the bit.

I'm not drawn in by the big name necessarily. I just look at a pipe and if I say 'Cool' that's it. It may be the grain pattern or usually it's just a slightly different shape. There's just so many billiards or bulldogs one wants after awhile. I do seem to get attracted by stacks and chimneys.

I have always preferred bent pipes but I recently purchased a Kaywoodie straight chub billiard that I am really liking. So much so that I broke down and purchased a higher grade Kaywoodie handmade straight billiard. It should arrive anyday.

JP, sounds like a bit more PAD hitting you.
I now know why bent pipes were invented. I've been smoking my new Kaywoodie straight Billiard on the way home in the evenings and find it kind of distracting as there is a new blind spot to deal with- the pipe bowl. Also, when relighting I'm temporaraly blinded because the flame is right in front of my eyes and now that it's dark for my commute home this aint so good. I never noticed this before because I always smoked a bent pipe in the car. I carried my Benton full bent today, it seems to be the best for car smoking so far.
:pipe: on Brothers.

EJinVA":401ne5ak said:
JP, sounds like a bit more PAD hitting you.
I now know why bent pipes were invented. I've been smoking my new Kaywoodie straight Billiard on the way home in the evenings and find it kind of distracting as there is a new blind spot to deal with- the pipe bowl. Also, when relighting I'm temporaraly blinded because the flame is right in front of my eyes and now that it's dark for my commute home this aint so good. I never noticed this before because I always smoked a bent pipe in the car. I carried my Benton full bent today, it seems to be the best for car smoking so far.
:pipe: on Brothers.
Get your front end aligned and have your tires spin balanced so you can take both hands off the wheel when your on a straight away and relights won't be a problem!
:lol!:

Justpipes":dpym78am said:
Get your front end aligned and have your tires spin balanced so you can take both hands off the wheel when your on a straight away and relights won't be a problem!
Actually I did just get it realigned after wacking a pothole recently (not while smoking). The problem is the bypass I travel on is a mini-interstate now so everyone is traveling at 75+ mph and invariably some knuckle head slams on their brakes for no apparent reason. :scratch:

Justpipes":lfrcemin said:
Get your front end aligned and have your tires spin balanced so you can take both hands off the wheel when your on a straight away and relights won't be a problem! :lol!:
Or learn to drive with your knee, that way you can drink and smoke. :clown:

Jim

Ol'Dawg":efrcai9p said:
Justpipes":efrcai9p said:
Get your front end aligned and have your tires spin balanced so you can take both hands off the wheel when your on a straight away and relights won't be a problem! :lol!:
Or learn to drive with your knee, that way you can drink and smoke. :clown:

Jim
I'm just not that coordinated :bounce: .