WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatman":wpc0evrp said:
Seems to me it would be like having a coke can in front of my face, while smoking it. I am all for odd shaped pipes, this one does not do it for me. That all being said, the grain and blast are nice, and I bet it is a great smoker.
This was exactly what I was thinking!

I've seen this carver's curious wares offered on various sites, and they're often -- well -- different, often different for the sake of being different, I'd say. I don't see any advantage in this design, and the conspicuous disadvantage I'd say is weight. Nevertheless, there must be some pipers out there this appeals to. Just not this one. I would enjoy seeing an interview with the carver on what his design thinking is and what he thinks of traditional shapes. But this pipe might be the shape of things to come -- a smoker could use it to shoo over zealous anti-smoking nazis. Maybe that was the idea.

Though not necessarily my style, I do recognize the artist / pipe makers work. And whether or not I like the pipe is one thing. What impresses me is that this guy has really developed a standout style when it comes to pipe making. It is very easy to distinguish his work.

I do enjoy the eclectic nature of his other pipes, epsecially the multi colored cube looking ones.

Lol! You guys, Werner Mummert is not a new pipe maker. He's been making pipes for nearly 30 years. His work is simply new to the American market. Until I spoke with him at the Chicago show, I didn't know that he'd been making pipes for so long either. He's a super nice guy. Even though his work is certainly not for everyone, there's no doubt that his work is well made and creative. Gotta respect the guy for that!  :)

dshpipes":xktk0vu8 said:
Lol! You guys, Werner Mummert is not a new pipe maker. He's been making pipes for nearly 30 years. His work is simply new to the American market. Until I spoke with him at the Chicago show, I didn't know that he'd been making pipes for so long either. He's a super nice guy. Even though his work is certainly not for everyone, there's no doubt that his work is well made and creative. Gotta respect the guy for that!  :)
OK, I, Pieter Claassen, respect the guy for his well made and creative pipes. I just don't want them  :twisted: 

dshpipes":of21uk2a said:
Yes sir, I knew that! his name is one of the tops in his region. And in no way was I bashing him here on a open forum and that's why I never mentioned his name. It just puzzled me why he would make such a, to put it nicely, unattractive (in my eye) cubist pipe and want so much for it. Lets be frank here, anyone with a lathe could produce a pipe just like it and probably be laughed at when trying to sell it for that kind of money. And why would anyone want it? Because he made it?
I'm sure he maybe a very nice man and I really like his other works but, the question still remains, why is this attractive to some and worth so much?

It's a fair question. It's like looking at a Warhol and saying "Why is a poster covered with Campbell soup cans worth a fortune?" It's a fair question because there is an answer. There is a reason why there is a market for it and since there is a market for it there is value. It's also reasonable to not get it. Not everything is for everyone.

A speculation,
The Werner Mummert pipe in question is appealing because it is presenting function. Reverse Calabash pipes are gaining popularity and their appeal comes from the suggested improved smoking qualities and attention to engineering. By presenting that with minimal shaping he is magnifying the focus of those aspect. The pipe is not overly shaped for sure, though everything is well finished, so you consider immediately the engineering and smoking quality. It's now a smoking machine as much as it is a pipe. Also, it's novel. So if you are ever inclined to own a pipe like this it will be by him or a copy of his. So this is the gold standard of this.

Is that coherent?

juanmedusa":fvxwap02 said:
It's a fair question. It's like looking at a Warhol and saying "Why is a poster covered with Campbell soup cans worth a fortune?" It's a fair question because there is an answer. There is a reason why there is a market for it and since there is a market for it there is value. It's also reasonable to not get it. Not everything is for everyone.

A speculation,
The Werner Mummert pipe in question is appealing because it is presenting function. Reverse Calabash pipes are gaining popularity and their appeal  comes from the suggested improved smoking qualities and attention to engineering. By presenting that with minimal shaping he is magnifying the focus of those aspect. The pipe is not overly shaped for sure, though everything is well finished, so you consider immediately the engineering and smoking quality. It's now a smoking machine as much as it is a pipe. Also, it's novel. So if you are ever inclined to own a pipe like this it will be by him or a copy of his. So this is the gold standard of this.

Is that coherent?
Understood BUT, why is it attractive to some and we haven't touch on value yet? Okay, it's a perfectly functioning pipe that delivers a perfect smoke (we'll say this for the moment for the sake of argument). But, there are many pipes out there that are beautiful works of art that will provide the smoker with the same smoking properties as this one. Why would I want something that looks like a empty roll of toilet paper sticking out from my face that cost me $500 or more?  ;) 

Cartaphilus said:
juanmedusa":zkn3bs5b said:
Why would I want something that looks like a empty roll of toilet paper sticking out from my face that cost me $500 or more?  ;) 
Thank you my brother Cart  :lol!: 

You not only made my day, you made my weekend and the week that follows!!

I laughed so loud, my wife came to check on me to see whether I went crazy

SpeedyPete":4u4uk6fm said:
Cartaphilus":4u4uk6fm said:
juanmedusa":4u4uk6fm said:
Why would I want something that looks like a empty roll of toilet paper sticking out from my face that cost me $500 or more?  ;) 
Thank you my brother Cart  :lol!: 

You not only made my day, you made my weekend and the week that follows!!

I laughed so loud, my wife came to check on me to see whether I went crazy
You've made my day sir! My job is done here now.  ;) 

I totally get why people do not like this, I think its cool. I would not want it for a pipe however, so as a form and function marriage I do not think it works.

rev

Let's take its virtues, real or imagined, for granted. The original question remains, why would anyone pay $500+ for this? My first and last thought was because they have quite a bit of disposable income, and it tickles their fancy. To me, it's worth about 35 bucks American.

A follow-up question: Did it sell?

Richard Burley":j1lx96d0 said:
Let's take its virtues, real or imagined, for granted.  The original question remains, why would anyone pay $500+ for this?  My first and last thought was because they have quite a bit of disposable income, and it tickles their fancy.  To me, it's worth about 35 bucks American.

A follow-up question:  Did it sell?
Both of them are still for sale.

The maker may have a great reputation and make some fine pieces, but my pipe sensibilities won't let me wrap my head around that one.
The last time I saw a pipe that looked like that, it was in a rather bad part of town and we, err, they, weren't smoking tobacco......I'd be afraid of "stop and frisk" walking around with that in my mouth. But, to each his own - smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

Richard Burley":o07j71bk said:
Let's take its virtues, real or imagined, for granted.  The original question remains, why would anyone pay $500+ for this?  My first and last thought was because they have quite a bit of disposable income, and it tickles their fancy.  To me, it's worth about 35 bucks American.

A follow-up question:  Did it sell?
I would not want my fanny tickled by........ah sorry, I see it's fancy

My further .02 -- Why is it priced at $500? I notice that many of Mumert's pipes fall in the $450-$600 range, so, given the imprecise nature of pricing, this one was tagged at five bills. If asked why this design, I can imagine him replying, "I can do a mean apple, billiard and dublin. Sometimes the ceative spirit moves me to extend the boundaries. Take it or leave it."  Why would anyone buy it? Maybe the buyer is oversupplied with billiards and discretionary income etc.  Personally, I look at that pipe and see a mighty nice slightly bent blast bulldog hidden in there. But the world is filled with blast bulldogs. I'd say this pipe is too heavy for clenching and has no love handles to expedite holding. I liked the poster's comment above that Mumert has a knack for carving a distinctive pipe that makes his creative experiments instantly recognizable, which is both desirable and difficult to achieve for a carver. I like his blast apple that leads his offerings in the Smoking Pipes site. OK, so I'm a traditionalist. So shoot me.