WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
I like alot of this carvers work but, will never be able to afford any of them new.
One in particular one of the artisans pipes sticks out as not being my thing what so ever though, yet is still priced at a fairly high level. And might I add this is not the only one like this that he has created. $500? I'm sorry, not in my life time. Now, I understand this pipe may appeal to some so I'm not going to be graphic about my dislike of it nor am I going to say who the carver is but, he's not an unknown newbie. This is not a bashing of the carver but, maybe a question why this would appeal to some and why such a high price? What's your thoughts?  ;) 

Ya, saw that. Reverse Calbash, and has 2 in this style.

Doesn't appeal to me, but it probably does to some. I grant him his artistic licence and it may smoke fine. Just doesn't ring my bells.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

RR

YOU JUST DON'T understand It's an ARTISON pipe !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

Seems to me it would be like having a coke can in front of my face, while smoking it. I am all for odd shaped pipes, this one does not do it for me. That all being said, the grain and blast are nice, and I bet it is a great smoker.

monbla256":72dhed64 said:
YOU JUST DON'T understand It's an ARTISON pipe !!  :twisted: :twisted: 
Oh! I didn't realize it was Art's sons pipe, that makes it entirely different then.

I don't know shit so feel free to ignore but I feel like it looks like it didn't have much time sunk into carving it as say a hand made pipe in the same price range. Feel like it could be cranked out real quick on the lathe. No form all function not for me.

This pipe maker is one of the finest I have ever seen. Since his name hasn't been mentioned, I won't publish it either. But IMO this is not a pipe, it's a dowel with a hole in it!!!! Same goes for those Cigar shaped pipes. I'll smoke a cigar anytime, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend good money on a piece of wood that looks like a cigar. LOL
Each to his own, just not for me. And I could go on about those Punk styled pipes as well. Artisan my @$$. LOL
OK, my morning rant is over and I feel better. :lol!: 

Aesthetic appeal is so personal and varied, but a simple cylinder with a short stem for a pipe, I would say does not have great appeal to the majority of pipers. It looks hard to hold in hand and well, Klunky.... Man I could buy some fine pipes for $500 clams....

Not my style. Like mentioned above, does not look comfortable to hold, looks chunky. That being said, maybe there's some thing to this pipe that we can't see. Maybe there's something in the barrel shape that has a purpose and is hidden from view. I don't know this carver, and this is all I have to see, so I can't say anything about the price, except no matter what the pipe looks like it's out of my reach.

desertpiper":aqpiqbja said:
Not my style. Like mentioned above, does not look comfortable to hold, looks chunky. That being said, maybe there's some thing to this pipe that we can't see. Maybe there's something in the barrel shape that has a purpose and is hidden from view. I don't know this carver, and this is all I have to see, so I can't say anything about the price, except no matter what the pipe looks like it's out of my reach.
i claim it is a reverse calabash design and the stem contains a large chamber.

The vulcanite stem's the deal-breaker.

It may be wrong to call this a pipe. It may in fact be a Quintessential Blowie Thing.

It might be "work in progress"?  :twisted: 

I have a wooden breadbox which looks a lot like this work in progress. Just no stem sticking out on the side.

Richard Burley":uy820bfi said:
It's for rectal smoking.
 :lol!:  Smoking enema, burning the candle on both sides?

If you fit a stem where the "tobacco loading space" is at present, you can convert it into a chimney style pipe. I think that would look better, sort of like a bastard bulldog!

I'm aware of this and who makes it. This carver makes some other interesting artistic style too. This particular pipe moves the needle less for me than some of the others. I saw this and thought that if it was flat on the bottom and had a hose instead of a stem it'd make a good table pipe. They actually made those decades ago, I've seen them in old catalogues. I'm with the brother that would think it strange to hold this thing in front of my face. Though honestly if this was expected to sit on a table like I suggested I'd still never buy one. It would just seem less bizarre to me.

fishnbanjo":2jhoth49 said:
While I do hunt, I don't hunt ducks!
Yes! It does look like one doesn't it. Quack quack!  ;) 

Sloth":1u0ywvdn said:
The vulcanite stem's the deal-breaker.

It may be wrong to call this a pipe. It may in fact be a Quintessential Blowie Thing.
isnt that big words for "duck call"?