Why...?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Why is aged FVF so good? I mean, there is good and then there is ridiculously good. The five+ year sample I just opened is clearly an example of the latter.

I have never had anyone else's flakes that hit the "ridiculously good" mark. Some come close. But Sam Gawith does it quite frequently.

I've found that G&H's offerings are far superior to SG's, they are the foundation of my cellar, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

I have a bunch from both blenders aging as we speak. Quite frankly, other than Squadron Leader and Bob's Chocolate Flake, I have never tried any of them! Bought them solely from the temptations presented by this board! :lol!: Can't wait to do a full comparison!! FTRPLT

Kapnismologist":t77gwiy4 said:
Why is aged FVF so good? I mean, there is good and then there is ridiculously good. The five+ year sample I just opened is clearly an example of the latter.
It has something to do with microrgasims. We learned it in biology but I forgots.

Aging is fermentation pure and simple. If aged slow enough to allow the sugars to meld all through the leaf then that tobacco will be so sweet and good you'll think it's man candy! :pipe:

As I see it the only problem with aging , if done right, is staying out of it until it's done! :lol!:

why indeed? unfortunately I never cellared any FVF, but I've been smoking Ashton Black Parrot tinned in 95 that is pure ambrosia! I don't know what exactly sugar plums are, but if you could smoke them this is what they would taste like! it seems heat pressed virginia's do wonderfully with age. I have very high hopes for Fillmore. I have mason jars of best brown flake from 96, and while good, they haven't aged as well as the heat pressed virginnys. of course another decade and who knows? cracked a tin of escudo from 1946 7 days ago and oh my god never had anything like it. pure sugar with lemon like notes mixed with coffee bean and plums. I have dozens of rattrays dark fragrant from 91 that are approaching nirvana! I have a friend with FVF from the 80's and he won't sell any to me! the bas*&$d ! looking in the quart jars it turned black with the crystals all over it! has yours turned black yet?

Buck":7gsb1drz said:
As I see it the only problem with aging , if done right, is staying out of it until it's done! :lol!:
The trick there is to buy more than you can possibly smoke until it's well aged. :twisted:

I'm sitting on a pound of two pounds that I purchased it from the year 2000, I smoked up the last bit of the pound I opened in 2006 a month or so ago. I'm still up in the air as to when I'll open the remaining pound.

Why indeed -- in fact why ask why? Just enjoy :cheers: :pipe:

FVF when aged is maybe the best straight VA flake on the planet!

vaperfavour":fr7bcepv said:
why indeed? unfortunately I never cellared any FVF, but I've been smoking Ashton Black Parrot tinned in 95 that is pure ambrosia! I don't know what exactly sugar plums are, but if you could smoke them this is what they would taste like! it seems heat pressed virginia's do wonderfully with age. I have very high hopes for Fillmore. I have mason jars of best brown flake from 96, and while good, they haven't aged as well as the heat pressed virginnys. of course another decade and who knows? cracked a tin of escudo from 1946 7 days ago and oh my god never had anything like it. pure sugar with lemon like notes mixed with coffee bean and plums. I have dozens of rattrays dark fragrant from 91 that are approaching nirvana! I have a friend with FVF from the 80's and he won't sell any to me! the bas*&$d ! looking in the quart jars it turned black with the crystals all over it! has yours turned black yet?

Point 1: Nice, very nice. I envy your cellar every time it comes up.

Point 2: I would think you are dead on re: Filmore.

Point 3: Now, what kind of friend is that!

Point 4: The flakes from jar I just opened are noticeably darker than their younger cousins, yes, black no - not old enough yet. Sugar crystals? Yes, but not laden.

Point 5: (see below).

Man, it's gonna be hard waiting. Over the past 6-8 months I've jarred about 5 lbs of FVF, hope to get several pounds put away per year(over what I routinely smoke).

This is why FVF is so hard to find!! :lol:

I just bought my first 4 ounces the other day.

I'm going to smoke an ounce and stuff the other 3 in a jar. If I like it there won't be much left for the rest of you guys :)

EJinVA":f7yypwix said:
Man, it's gonna be hard waiting. Over the past 6-8 months I've jarred about 5 lbs of FVF, hope to get several pounds put away per year(over what I routinely smoke).
Yes it is almost torture waiting, I have the same difficulty aging Haddo's, but having had some at beyond 5 years age, I can tell you it is well worth the wait :cheers:

Two and a half pounds of bulk FVF in jars and about six tins (to see -- eventually -- if there really is a difference). All marked "Do not disturb."

Right beside the Embarcadero.

:face: