Wild Turkey Rye, Thanks EJ!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
First I have to give a big thanks to EJ for being the kind gentleman that he is and taking pitty on me and the plight that I face here in NC with the communist run ABC stores not offering a selection of rye whiskeys, of which EJ graciously sent me a fifth of, Wild Turkey Rye. Thank you EJ! What a treat! This stuff is outstanding and I will do my best to savor it as long as possible. I wish that I was adapt at reviewing whiskey but I haven't quite figured out how to describe it. All I can say is gooooood!

If you have access to it, I highly recommend it!

Is there any reasoning behind the unavailability of rye whiskey? I have no knowledge of whiskeys, just seems to me if one type of spirit is available, the rest should be, as well. Curious.

JP,
Your very welcome.
The state run ABC stores around here (there are three on the way home for me) all had different Rye except Jim Beam, which they all had. They could order most other stuff.
I guess it has to do with the popularity of a particular type, It seemed the larger square footage stores did have a larger selection of everything.
The only thing so far I'm not able to get is Everclear, which you can get with a special permit (medical uses).

:drunken: on Brothers.

If you want another version of rye, try Sazarec. It's very nice. However, the ultimate rye is Old Potrero. Fantastic! Yeah, a little pricey, but worth it.

Some interesting facts about Wild Turkey:

Wild Turkey is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey distilled and bottled by the Austin, Nichols division of Pernod Ricard. Its nicknames include "The Dirty Bird," "Gobble Gobble," "Thunder Chicken," and "The Kickin’ Chicken", the last being a reference to the 101 proof of its most common bottling, as compared to the 80 proof of standard bourbons.

History
The Ripy brothers built the distillery at Lawrenceburg in 1905 and resumed distilling after Prohibition. The Ripys were bought out by the Austin, Nichols Distilling Co. in 1971, who in turn were bought by Pernod Ricard in 1980.
Distillery executive Thomas McCarthy took some warehouse samples on a wild turkey hunting trip in 1940. The next year his friends asked him for "some of that wild turkey whiskey", and a brand was born. The 80 proof version was introduced in 1974.

Range
The Wild Turkey label carries a vividly printed, seemingly engraved illustration of its namesake. In the USA, five varieties of the bourbon are generally available: 80 proof, 101 proof, Kentucky Spirit, Russell's Reserve, and Rare Breed. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is a single barrel version at 101 proof, the 10 year old named for Master Distiller Jimmy Russell is 90 proof, and the Rare Breed is a blend of 6, 8 and 12-year-old stocks at 108.2 barrel proof. Versions available in other countries include the 101 proof at 8 and 12 years old, a blend at 106 proof, an 86.8 proof and alcopops pre-mixed with cola or dry ginger.
One reviewer from Whisky Magazine, proclaimed that Wild Turkey 101 is, "A Clint Eastwood of whiskeys." It also earned an 'Editor's Choice' award from the same publication.

The Wild Turkey brand has also been extended to a 101 proof rye whiskey, made from a mash of 65% rye, 23% corn and 12% barley, and to a honey liqueur. In the United States, the Wild Turkey American Honey Liqueur is promoted in bars and clubs by the "American Honeys", a crew of female models sporting cut-off denim shorts, gingham tops and boots.

Kentucky River Fish Kill
On May 9, 2000, a seven-story warehouse in Anderson County, Kentucky was destroyed in a fire, spilling thousands of gallons of Wild Turkey into the Kentucky River. The alcohol resulted in a fish-kill that killed hundreds of thousands of fish along a 66 mile stretch of the river. Wild Turkey paid $256,000 to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife in an effort to restore the fish population in the river.
Doesn't PB swim in the Kentuck River? :shock: .

The best Rye that I have ever had is Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye and I have yet to find it in any liquor stores during my interstate travels, though the WT Rye is very good!

Justpipes":k4crbqhj said:
The best Rye that I have ever had is Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye and I have yet to find it in any liquor stores during my interstate travels, though the WT Rye is very good!
JP,
The sales lady at the ABC said she could order the Van Winkle FRR by the bottle. So if your ever traveling on I-81 through Old Virginia let me know in advance and I'll try n get you some.

:cheers:

EJinVA":ru22ch9u said:
Justpipes":ru22ch9u said:
JP,
The sales lady at the ABC said she could order the Van Winkle FRR by the bottle. So if your ever traveling on I-81 through Old Virginia let me know in advance and I'll try n get you some.

:cheers:
Very nice offer EJ and I just might take you up on it!

Believe it or not they will order it here also but require that you purchase the entire case at close to $500. I just can't come up with a justification for the Misses! :lol:

I had gotten myself a bottle of WT Rye too but didnt try it till this past weekend. Strong but Very Good & Very Smooth. Glad you recommended it JP. It'll be in my Liquor cabinet from now on.

EJinVA":t1084kr1 said:
I had gotten myself a bottle of WT Rye too but didnt try it till this past weekend. Strong but Very Good & Very Smooth. Glad you recommended it JP. It'll be in my Liquor cabinet from now on.
EJ,

I had only had it a time or two myself when traveling but this is the first time that I have ever had enough to really savor and you are right! It is very good and smooth. I have always found good rye to be very smooth and flavorful. Course it won't stop me from drinking Old Crow or Old Charter. They are hard to beat for the price.

Hard to find indeed, but great tasing and so smooth!
I lived on this when I was in school.