Will They Know How To Use It?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I've been doing some Goodwill shopping for kitchen essentials. None are for me, but rather for a family from Afghanistan that managed to escape the Taliban takeover. In a cart, I had several pots and pans, a blender, electric coffee maker, baking sheets, etc. when I tested a rice cooker to see if it heated up. A woman looking in the kitchen "tools" area asked if I ran a resale shop. I said, no, that I was purchasing these items for a recent immigrant family from Afghanistan. She then remarked, "How will they know what to do with the electric appliances?" To which I replied, "They may have learned a bit about these contraptions when they were students at the University of Minnesota Medical School."

But, while I was at Goodwill, today was green sticker half price day and I picked up a 19" LED TV for $4.50 that I'll put in my finished basement and use as a monitor for an I3 Asus Chromebox that's been awaiting hook-up.

She then remarked, "How will they know what to do with the electric appliances?" To which I replied, "They may have learned a bit about these contraptions when they were students at the University of Minnesota Medical School."
Amazing. Is there really any wonder why so much of the world is irritated with us? We have such a conflated, skewed idea of ourselves. Best healthcare on the planet! Uh...

Is there really any wonder why so much of the world is irritated with us? We have such a conflated, skewed idea of ourselves.
There's no shortage of people in the U.S. who believe that everyone in Afghanistan is devoid of education. With the Taliban taking over the government, there's been a rush for many of the educated middle class to flee the country.