William Ashton Taylor passed away today.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
The man behind Ashton pipes. A big loss for the pipe community and especially sad news for his friends and family.

I had the chance of meeting him a couple of times. He was the very essence of an English gentleman.

This is truly depressing news folks :cry: I shall fire up my Ashton SHPC year pipe filled with Dunhill's #965 in his good honor...

ClubPix011.jpg

The circle of life continues, always a sad day when we loose a brother. Mr. Ashton has contributed so much to the pipe community, he will be missed.

Sad news indeed, though I don't own an Ashton pipe, I think I'll have a bowl of Condor (if that ain't English I don't know English) in a nice old (1960's) Ben Wade Canadian in Mr. Taylor's honor :(

I am sorry to hear that another brother of the briar has passed on. My the Lord comfort his family and friends while recalling fond memories to them!

A stunning loss! I have two of his creations; both gems. I enjoyed his occasional missives when he joined us on the old Knox board (maybe on the JR board before that). My condolences to his family. FTRPLT

If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Rest in peace, Mr. Taylor.

A huge loss to our hobby, and a sad day indeed. A pipe full to thee, Mr. Taylor.

Doc Manhattan":9tmiyatg said:
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Rest in peace, Mr. Taylor.
Amen!

What a loss! Great pipes and a charming man. I have many Ashton pipes and am smoking a XXX Soveign tonight in his memory. Yes, there are some quality issues with recent production, mortal he was, but what a treat to enjoy the perfect pipe that he often made. He will be missed by many.

Richard

Huge loss. I own 3 Ashtons and really like them. I even had one refurbished from William Ashton Taylor himself two years ago, and it came back absolutely beautiful (I had abused it with 1-2 bowl-a-day smoking for two years).

I regret not having seen him at his trunk show at LJ Peretti in Boston about two years ago. A loss to the community, I am sure.