Wimps... Try Smoking It Dry...

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Regor sent me a few copies of The Pipe Collector a while back. Many interesting articles. Among the articles is one by Rick Newcombe extolling the virtues of smoking EMP dry...

Okay let's hear the arguments.... there are some tobaccos that I have found great... dry as a bone... like Braken Flake...

...suggestion... when it'd dry, try it, you might like it... ;)

Justpipes

Reaction score
I have always preferred my tobacco dry. IMHO, most tobaccos are far too moist .

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I think some aromatic components can be lost when tobacco dries out too much, but I frequently will open a tin and just let it sit for a few months with a bit of oxygen having gotten to it. Then when it's smoking time, I pull a pipeful out and usually warm it on a plate to get it dried out to almost crispy feeling (still a bit flexible though). This certainly help to alleviate biteyness of certain blends.

Mac Baren virginias, for instance, benefit greatly from being dried.

Natch

Most Perfect Temple of Absolute Wisdom
Reaction score
I normally smoke my tobacco quite dry (at least, dryer than I think the "average" pipster would smoke it (if there are any "average" pipsters on earth, that is!). Recently, I've been backing the other way, keeping my flakes a bit moister, just to the point where I can bend/roll them without them cracking.

Natch

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I don't have the experience of smoking a tobacco more moist and having it be bitey and drying it down and having the bite go away.

But I do like to quote a local tobacconist's maxim: "too dry and you get heat, too moist and you get steam."

LtMac

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was looking through a drawer containing a lot of my tinned Dunhill blends and smelled tobacco. I started checking and found a tin of Early Morning Pipe marked with the purchase date of 09-22-06 that had a broken seal. I dont know what happened to break the seal. One of my daughters has a boyfriend who is interested in pipe smoking and has tried several of my blends; he may have gotten curious and opened the tin. Anyhow, I emptied the tin into a glass jar and it was bone dry, like grass in your yard during a blistering hot and dry summer. I smoked some and really liked it. It was really mellowed and flavorful and I had no trouble keeping it lit. I liked it so well dry that I smoked the whole tin in just a few days.

LtMac

Buddy Springman

Reaction score
I usually nuc a bowl worth of flakes and plugs for 11 seconds prior to smoking them. While still hot, I stir it a bit to help free the moisture. Works for me.

Buddy

Puff Daddy

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there's a big difference between dry and dried out. "Dry" is when fresh (or recently opened) tobacco is allowed to dry-out to the point where the moisture content gets significantly lower but the volatile oils are still present, thus allowing a smoke that will be flavorful but not steamy and difficult to keep lit. A cool, dry, flavorful smoke. Dried out is the same that's been left dry or exposed to air too long and the oils (and life) have gone out of it.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
alfredo_buscatti":z9fks6uk said:
I don't have the experience of smoking a tobacco more moist and having it be bitey and drying it down and having the bite go away.

But I do like to quote a local tobacconist's maxim: "too dry and you get heat, too moist and you get steam."
Alfredo, I think your tobacconist is exactly right.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Puff Daddy":74pfsgqg said:
I think there's a big difference between dry and dried out. "Dry" is when fresh (or recently opened) tobacco is allowed to dry-out to the point where the moisture content gets significantly lower but the volatile oils are still present, thus allowing a smoke that will be flavorful but not steamy and difficult to keep lit. A cool, dry, flavorful smoke. Dried out is the same that's been left dry or exposed to air too long and the oils (and life) have gone out of it.
I think you nailed it PD!

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
I like most of the blends just as they come out of the tin. Key Largo was the first exception in a long time (I had to dry that one). I used to think that I liked my blends dry, until I realized that the problem was mine: once I got in the groove with the proper puffing technique, it was that. Now, most tins left open for more than a couple of weeks need hydration.