Winchester Pipe Club (VA) - 1st Meeting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Well, I finally made it to a meeting of the newly formed Winchester VA pipe club. They meet monthly at the wondeful, JB Hayes pipe shop. There were about nine members there including pipe maker Abe Herbaugh. I always enjoy hearing about what Abe has on the bench. I was surprised and pleased to see a primarily young group of pipe smokers versus some old foggies (well, like me...) It's nice to finally have a club in my area and the setting couldn't be better. They had a raffle and my friend Dave (from another pipe forum) won a Mark Tinsky Christmas pipe.

1743509_843328822349781_1914846152_n.jpg

1622245_843328775683119_1605683466_n.jpg

That's great Al. Thanks for sharing the photos. And I see my friend Matt Hayes behind the counter of his shop, a great guy.  :D 

Looks like a great time indeed. Great looking site for the meeting too.  8) 

i'm easy to spot, I dont spend much time combing my hair...

Doc: yep, Matthew is one of the good guys! (and his Father)

I had a whole bag of Sutliffe tins, the Philly club always has a number of them available to club members. They were mostly aro blends, so I gave them out. Those young guys were thrilled, so that made my night. I'm guessing they dont have a lot of extra coin for pipe tobacco.

When do you guys plan to meet (schedule-wise)?

Is there not more than one Hayes location? I travel right by one several times a year (but always resist temptation before now).

Aristokles":1pciqkkr said:
When do you guys plan to meet (schedule-wise)?

Is there not more than one Hayes location? I travel right by one several times a year (but always resist temptation before now).
They meet the 1st Tuesday (6 PM) and 3rd Sunday (5 PM) at the Winchester location. Matthew's father, John (the JB in Hayes) runs the other VA shop, near DC in Fair Oaks Mall.
The club has a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/157566831104372/

I've been meaning to check out JB Hayes...my folks live just up the road in Martinsburg. The picture was all the encouragement I need to make it a priority now.

Have you ever been to the King Street Emporium in Martinsburg?

friar_jay":h9d6lnt6 said:
I've been meaning to check out JB Hayes...my folks live just up the road in Martinsburg. The picture was all the encouragement I need to make it a priority now.

I didn't know it was there! It looks just like house blends for pipes, but the "David Hobbs" sounds interesting (and oddly, I know who he is).

riff raff":ux8hhu0u said:
friar_jay":ux8hhu0u said:

I didn't know it was there!  It looks just like house blends for pipes, but the "David Hobbs" sounds interesting (and oddly, I know who he is).  
Ha! That's pretty funny.

That's fantastic! What a great venue! All the best to the club!

Lou

juanmedusa":o34ec6mh said:
I'm planning on making the April 1st meeting. Seriously, no kidding.
I'm plannning being there as well, I'll look forward to meeting another BoB member. Abe Herbaugh usually attends.

riff raff":22dujhfl said:
juanmedusa":22dujhfl said:
I'm planning on making the April 1st meeting. Seriously, no kidding.
I'm plannning being there as well, I'll look forward to meeting another BoB member.  Abe Herbaugh usually attends.
I would love to meet Abe for sure. Hey riffraff, is there anything I might have you'd like to try. I've got a lot of Lakeland tobaccos open now. Which might not be your cup of tea.

I'm a narrow minded English guy, but I've been looking for the new Crown Achievement. Dave Grant will be there with two kinds of Belguin Semois, if you want to try that blend.

riff raff":2m20kaci said:
I'm a narrow minded English guy, but I've been looking for the new Crown Achievement.
I thought that was the case. I have an open tin of Da Vinci I'm gonna bring and try to pass along to anyone so inclined. But other than that I got nothing latakia. The only latakia blend I've proven I can smoke through is Key Largo and that's a far cry from your traditional English.