Wind Cap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've been meaning to ask that same question. With outdoor smoking becoming more prevalent, you'd think wind caps would be gaining popularity. Are they just a novelty or do they actually serve their function?

i use mine mainly so i can prefill a pipe or two and safely carry the loaded pipe in my 2-bag tote.

i've read others do the same thing

have used it for its intended outdoor smoking purpose only rarely...it works

I use them for smoking outside in the wind. They also come in handy when you need to tuck the pipe in a pocket and don't want a pocket full of ash. I also have a rubber "pipe cap" that keeps ash out of your pocket.

I am not sure I am familiar with a rubber pipe cap. Any other details or pictures to help a relatively new smoker out

This is called "The PipeCap". I bought it almost 35 years ago in a small B&M that went the way of the DoDo about 30 years ago. I've never seen them anyplace else.
lDRErl.jpg

Just slips over the rim of the pipe and keeps ash in when the pipe is in your pocket.
BTW, the pipe is a Dunhill "Campaign" pipe from 1914 and saw "duty" on the battlefields of WWI.
86DTHl.jpg

They work well.

They:

1) prevent the pipe from becomming a blast furnace, and...
2) prevent sparks and embers from flhying out of your bowl and lighting things on fire...
3) prevent you from having to stuff all the tobacco that fell into your pocket when carrying a pipe in there...and we know that about 1/3 of what you put back in the bowl was pocket lint...right? Now THAT's a rasty smoke!

So anyway...yeah, they work.

Sidebar: I've been known to use a flat rock of the proper size when I didn't have the screen thingy with me. Not too thin though...they tend to get hot. And since you have to hold the rock on there with your fingertip...well, you know.

jrtaster":j2bicw1b said:
i use mine mainly so i can prefill a pipe or two and safely carry the loaded pipe in my 2-bag tote.

i've read others do the same thing

have used it for its intended outdoor smoking purpose only rarely...it works
Exactly what I use mine for 95% of the time. I'll even take a small piece of napkin/paper and make a thin "plug" to put just under the cap and that way I can cover up a half-smoked bowl and not worry about the ash leaking out all over the place.

But when I'm canoeing or sitting on a windy ridge top, I do use it for its original intent.

Natch

I ordered 3 so I will report back with how well they work.

I just bought one of these the other day, as I noticed my Tinder Box finally had a few in. I haven't given it a chance yet, but with the winds we get here, it will be a test. My "wind cap" has always been just a few fingers over the top of the bowl as I smoke, and that works pretty well.

My idea with the wind cap was just as was stated: I want to carry around a little tobacco in a cob for workin' outside.

8)

Wonder if one of those would allow smoking while riding a motorcycle? Behind a windshield, of course...

BTW...I've never seen a "pipe condom" like the rubber cover in the photo. Good idea though...

I have a cheap little one I picked up from my B&M, and it makes a world of difference on a blustery day. Getting the thing lit to begin with can be a trial, of course...and if you do use one, make sure to thoroughly clean it after every use or you'll pocket will end up much worse off than just having some loose tobacco in it!

Huh! Interesting. I never "clean" the ones I use...just sort of brush 'em off a bit. Seems like the smoke it goin' the other direction...but there does get to be a slight tar buildup over a long time.

I use spit and a toothbrush. Works well as the digestive enzyme in the saliva breaks down the tars really well. Whoi woulda thunk it?

It's almost like how well pitch is removed by margarine! There's another one. Bizzare. Yet it works like it was made for it. Don't say I never gave ya nuthin' fer free!

I just happened to have one here by my desk and a ruler...I torqued on the tabs pretty hard but I think a proper pliers would do a little better. So I think you could get the one I have out to an inch, max. But since it's such a high priced item, I hate to really push it hard! lol

BTW: the diameter of the body lf the screen frame thing is 1 1/8"...so that would be the max no matter WHAT you bent the tabs out to...actually, a little less so it wouldn't just fall into the bowl.

I have two I've used of and on for several years, and both measure around 7/8"+ and look like that's the max dia bowl they would work on. They DO work but will get kinda crudy looking as they are used.