Windproof lighters/outdoors technique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan1999

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Basically a first post and new piper here, been at it very slowly over the past year or so.

Due to reasons, I am forced to smoke outdoors and have been having a bit of difficulty lately. The biggest concern is currently clenching leading to headaches, but I believe this one is solved with different styles of pipe, or simply holding the pipe when smoking. Or clenching, but stopping ever so often to let the pipe rest. Something like that. Any thoughts are welcome on this topic.

The purpose of this post exactly is to determine what sort of windproof lighter I should invest in! The second most concern is the futility of bics to light in seemingly the slightest amount of wind.

I've been considering zippos, and the two different types of nimrod lighters, many seem to recommend the commander.

Well I'm basically sold on the nimrods, but their cost and the hassle with repairing one that I grab off of ebay in poor condition puts me off a bit, and so the zippos seem like a good alternative.

Between the sportsman and the commander, I've heard that the commander is better because the fuel doesn't evaporate as quickly, but the sportsman has the advantage of the "fire hole" being just the right size to light most pipes completely, and on its side working as a tamper.

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking this one.

Thanks,
Stan :flower:

PS I've never smoked a crumble kake in my life but I've heard (read) someone on here say that they're good for the outdoors. Why is this?

As a compulsive clencher, I can't help with the first (other than remarking that half bent stems work best for me), and I have no idea why a crumble cake would be good for outdoors. As for lighters, I use Zippos with the pip insert (traditional fuel) and have no major problems in anything less than near-gale conditions.

wish I could help but I use matches about 99.9% of the time. Mostly smoke in my car so no issues with wind, have heard Zippos with traditional fuel pipe insert are great. Definitely avoid and if the torch lighters as they will likely destroy your pipe.

I mostly clench and don't recall any issues with headaches.

I have never had the headache problem with clenching, and I do it almost all the time I am smoking. I am not much help there.

I use a Zippo with the standard pipe insert, but I am also good at cupping my hands and using a Bic.

Whenever I'm outside I'll put my back to the wind and cup my hands around my lighter to shield it from the wind as much as possible. I use corncob pipes or rusticated briars outside. If the top gets scorched, I don't mind too much, and it doesn't show so much on a rusticated or sandblasted pipe. In the wind I will use either matches or a cheap lighter. Sometimes a little burn on the fingers happens also! :affraid: But, some aloe cream on the burn and I'm go to go!

New to replying so I might be doing something wrong.

First off, thanks to everyone for replying!

@Corncobcon that's crazy you're able to use matches in the wind..you must have big hands?! I take it you light your lighter/matches in the hand cupped area? If I ever try this I'll be sure to have some aloe on hand!

Seems like the zippo is the way to go, I'll see if I can grab one sometime.

My clenching problems may be associated with TMJ muscle problems that happened after a concussion last year. The "sucking" motion that my mouth undergoes when puffing seems to trigger this, even the most relaxed sipping does it too. I think the key is not letting the muscles get tired to begin with by never clenching, and I've found that the further i stick the pipe in my mouth, the gentler the muscles seem to have to work, which helps. I think I'll perfect the technique with time!

Thanks!

Stan1999":x0wpp1df said:

@Corncobcon that's crazy you're able to use matches in the wind..you must have big hands?! I take it you light your lighter/matches in the hand cupped area? If I ever try this I'll be sure to have some aloe on hand!
I do use alot of matches! :lol:

I do 100% of my smoking outdoors, usually on walks. When lighting up, stand behind a tree. Tuck behind a mailbox. Huddle against a wall. I used 3/$1 lighters. No scorched pipe rims. A little practice, but I don't think you have to do anything special. And sometimes a little breeze can be your friend with keeping the pipe going. On the other hand, when the wind is really whipping, I don't bother to smoke.

Greets, outdoors, I'll always go with my Zippo. You have to burn for a second to eliminate the fuel smell, but it'll take the wind and get the job done. They make a 'pipe' lighter, but any Zippo should do.
Check Ebay for 'previously owned' kit. Still, new, they ain't all that expensive.
As for clenching, lean towards bent shapes. Regards

Seems like the zippo is the way to go, I'll see if I can grab one sometime.

My clenching problems may be associated with TMJ muscle problems that happened after a concussion last year. The "sucking" motion that my mouth undergoes when puffing seems to trigger this, even the most relaxed sipping does it too. I think the key is not letting the muscles get tired to begin with by never clenching, and I've found that the further i stick the pipe in my mouth, the gentler the muscles seem to have to work, which helps. I think I'll perfect the technique with time!

Thanks!
I smoke outdoors 90% of the time. I use cheap butane lighters, scripto brand, 5 for $4 at wallmart. Just cup my hand while clenching. Haven't burnt myself yet, lol. I find full bent pipes work better for this. Also look for lighter weight pipes. Stanwell makes some good ones. Agree with others on the zippo. Have seen them on amazon for less than $20.

Regarding clenching, you might try pipe rubbers - soft rubber piece that fits on your stem. LINK

I agree with Ranger on perhaps finding some lighter weight pipes, though I have no idea how heavy the ones you are currently smoking are. My personal preference is for smaller pipes anyway, most of which weigh less then an ounce and a half. They don't require a very tight clench to keep them in the teeth although I would classify myself as more of a Dangler then a clencher.

Beagle

Absolutely. Love my bigger pipes but don't clench them. Most makers advertise lighter weight pipes like stanwell and savinelli. And if you are buying new look at the weight. Also if you find a pipe advertised as lighter try to get a bent model as it just dangles as Beagle said. But doesn't have to be. Ex. Right now I'm enjoying cowboy coffee in a vintage Sav straight billiard. Probably weighes a bit over an oz. and I've been clenching it the whole time I've been writing this. Just get used to checking the weight before buying.