Winter pipe smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I smoke in the winter, down to about 10°. I haven't had any problems so far. Below that, I've gone out for a quick smoke in a cob. I prefer briar, but cobs have their place.

Gusto

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
1. I avoid a thick cake - but I have cracked a bowl with a reamer.
2. Don't let the bowl get hot, check bowl temp with your cheek.
3. Don't let the bowl get cold - palm it.
4. The cob suggestion is super sensible! Wish I had thought of that.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't go out when the temps are that cold! I'm not sure what my "minimum Temp" is, but below about 45F is it!! I typically smoke a briar (carefully!!), but a cob is used quite frequently!! FTRPLT

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I smoke only cobs when it’s super cold outside.

EC2B713B-BD92-4E1F-A8F9-2BECA907B06B.jpeg

Hermit

Reaction score
It just got cool enough here to run my window fan all day.
I can smoke my ass off all winter. ;)
In the summer, I can't open the window 'til after sunset or later.

old_salt

Reaction score
She Who Must Be Obeyed, Won't let me smoke in the house! So I've been outside for 40+ years.
During the winter season, I set up a nest in the garage, have the door rolled up about 4 feet so I can see outside
then block the area not by my chair with plywood. have a small heater fed by a 220 V. outlet. While I'm
setting up the nest, I have a Hoodie & over-sized beach towel pre-heating in the dryer. Each session
begins with 2 pipes pre-loaded,and a 3 finger pour of single malt Scotch , a cup of bird seed put out
so the little guys will come by to keep me company.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Smoke mostly in the car so winter smoking isn't really an issue. If I do "have" to smoke outside (when at work in the field) I just bundle up and go for, otherwise I just pass on smoking. Or we have a nice smoke shop that let's you smoke inside.

GeoffC

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, so as I live up here in Toronto and have to smoke outside during winter, what suggestions have you for keeping briar from cracking in extreme cold.

As a side note as I get older I detest winter
Why I live in the south below the northern wall and the free folk. Snow is pretty . . . in pictures. I grew up in New England and never again will I live north. You don't have the option of a smoking shed with a heater?

I have a heater on the north east porch corner of the house where wind rarely hits. Even still, I will probably buy a Rabbit Air this winter and just smoke indoors.

JimPM

Reaction score
An interesting question, never really thought about it. I smoke whatever I feel I want to. Most likely an English of some type or Burley. Can't open my den window during the winter. Generally I'm out in the garage with a space heater.

JimInks

Reaction score
Weather never affects what I choose to smoke with the exception of smoking a meerschaum when it's below 32 degrees. I won't risk one cracking, which has happened to a couple of people I know.

Bluecow

Reaction score
Live here in Maine where it gets nippy from time to time, and never give it any thought, nor had any problems. I just stand out side and smoke, or maybe sit in a snowbank. I do try to avoid smoking in the freezing rain, but being a slave to nicotine that's not always possible.

DrT999

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Live here in Maine where it gets nippy from time to time, and never give it any thought, nor had any problems. I just stand out side and smoke, or maybe sit in a snowbank. I do try to avoid smoking in the freezing rain, but being a slave to nicotine that's not always possible.
Welcome, Bluecow!