Winter pipe smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoke in the winter, down to about 10°. I haven't had any problems so far. Below that, I've gone out for a quick smoke in a cob. I prefer briar, but cobs have their place.

I'm also stuck, not only outside but without shelter. Except on calm days, I pretty much have to stick with cobs, esp. in cold weather.

1. I avoid a thick cake - but I have cracked a bowl with a reamer.
2. Don't let the bowl get hot, check bowl temp with your cheek.
3. Don't let the bowl get cold - palm it.
4. The cob suggestion is super sensible! Wish I had thought of that.

I just don't go out when the temps are that cold! I'm not sure what my "minimum Temp" is, but below about 45F is it!! I typically smoke a briar (carefully!!), but a cob is used quite frequently!! FTRPLT

I smoke only cobs when it’s super cold outside.

EC2B713B-BD92-4E1F-A8F9-2BECA907B06B.jpeg

It just got cool enough here to run my window fan all day.
I can smoke my ass off all winter. ;)
In the summer, I can't open the window 'til after sunset or later.

She Who Must Be Obeyed, Won't let me smoke in the house! So I've been outside for 40+ years.
During the winter season, I set up a nest in the garage, have the door rolled up about 4 feet so I can see outside
then block the area not by my chair with plywood. have a small heater fed by a 220 V. outlet. While I'm
setting up the nest, I have a Hoodie & over-sized beach towel pre-heating in the dryer. Each session
begins with 2 pipes pre-loaded,and a 3 finger pour of single malt Scotch , a cup of bird seed put out
so the little guys will come by to keep me company.

Smoke mostly in the car so winter smoking isn't really an issue. If I do "have" to smoke outside (when at work in the field) I just bundle up and go for, otherwise I just pass on smoking. Or we have a nice smoke shop that let's you smoke inside.

Hey, so as I live up here in Toronto and have to smoke outside during winter, what suggestions have you for keeping briar from cracking in extreme cold.

As a side note as I get older I detest winter
Why I live in the south below the northern wall and the free folk. Snow is pretty . . . in pictures. I grew up in New England and never again will I live north. You don't have the option of a smoking shed with a heater?

I have a heater on the north east porch corner of the house where wind rarely hits. Even still, I will probably buy a Rabbit Air this winter and just smoke indoors.

An interesting question, never really thought about it. I smoke whatever I feel I want to. Most likely an English of some type or Burley. Can't open my den window during the winter. Generally I'm out in the garage with a space heater.

Weather never affects what I choose to smoke with the exception of smoking a meerschaum when it's below 32 degrees. I won't risk one cracking, which has happened to a couple of people I know.

Live here in Maine where it gets nippy from time to time, and never give it any thought, nor had any problems. I just stand out side and smoke, or maybe sit in a snowbank. I do try to avoid smoking in the freezing rain, but being a slave to nicotine that's not always possible.

Live here in Maine where it gets nippy from time to time, and never give it any thought, nor had any problems. I just stand out side and smoke, or maybe sit in a snowbank. I do try to avoid smoking in the freezing rain, but being a slave to nicotine that's not always possible.
Welcome, Bluecow!

Forgot to tell you when it is cold, I use small bent Dr. Grabows or Big Ben Barbados and cupped in my hands to keep warm alternating in or out with gloves.