Wisdom vs. Myth: Keeping Your Pipe Lit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
We've all seen it, heard it, perhaps done it:  a nutty idea that a pipe must be lit at all times to be a "seasoned" or "experienced" pipe smoker.   It probably comes about from tobacco-delivery-systems' cousins, the cigarette and/or the cigar.  They almost never go out, so why not the pipe?

A pipe was brought in to my local B&M by a very "experienced" and vocal pipe smoker, along with another pipe with the same problem, to see if either could be fixed--he was quite upset and mystified by the problem of his holey pipes.  Further query discovered most of his pipes had varying issues such as this.

It wouldn't have gathered as much attention as it did, if it were not for the guy criticizing us, a much younger crowd busy enjoying our pipes in the shop at the time of his arrival, about how many spent matches lay in the ashtray and lights he saw happening.  It was this man's wise, outspoken opinion that hard, fast puffing was not only the way to truly smoke a pipe (a real man's method), but keeping it lit by one match/light was paramount.

Those of us who know better, oddly enough, know better.  Be it scientific ideas of flow dynamics, burn rates or design, or simply that our tongues and pipes last longer, perform better, and gain more enjoyment when we're not troubled with simple misconceptions and questionable advice.

Those of us that don't know better, that get caught up in decades of bad habits, get this:

9688756770_1e84dd0932_z.jpg

9685518083_614da83dcd_z.jpg

Obviously, this poor pipe is a hopeless case (as well as the former owner).  It is now proudly archived at the shop as a tool to show briar is not "fireproof," excess reaming is not suggested, and ultimately--don't worry about re-lights.   Irony is alive and well.  

(Photo Courtesy Harold at Tinder Box Reno)

8)

I'm sure you're right, Kyle, as I'm sure several of my pipes would show, esp. with my being an outdoor smoker on top of being a constant puffer. If there is any flaw in a pipe, this kind of smoking will magnify it, if nothing else

All you can do is tell him it's a good thing he buys cheap pipes, given his talent for keeping them lit.

And he also shouldn't have to ream his pipes nearly as often as those who smoke slower and need relights

That took some real dedicated suckin', man. I once took a despised pipe, lit it, and held it out the window of my car while driving. The wood started smoldering, but I couldn't get a burn-through in seven or eight miles. Wonder what his mileage was?

Now THAT's a man who does noy WASTE a milligram of his tobacco ( and must LOVE the taste of burning wood ) And he does all that with JUST ONE match ! What a man!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

I've seen burnouts on the sides and even at the draft hole but, never through the bottom.
Yes, he must truly smoke every last morsel of tobacco and like one said before, like the taste of burning wood. Maybe he ought a just grind down some briar and smoke it.

Does "cognitive dissonance" apply here? I think the phrase refers to resistance to new information that contradicts beliefs that are already comfortably wedged into one's noggin. Eventually, one would think that harsh experience and unintended consequences should trump long-held notions. Say, the piper in question wasn't a tall, gray-headed fellow named Kerry, I suppose?

An enjoyable 2-3 light bowl sure beats the hell out of a tounge burning one light. But hey he must be a he man woman hater. Congrats Alfalfa.

wow never have i seen a pipe that damaged. sure i broke my first pipe by carrying it in my pocket, forgot one day and sat down. that pipe was toast

Rob_In_MO":72osrrws said:
If it was my pipe, i'd take it back to Office Depot for a refund.  :mrgreen:
If Office Depot sells pipes, I'd imagine they'd know about as much about them as they do the rest of the products in their stupid store. :lol:

The chaps notion of how a 'real man' smokes his pipes is entirely his opinion and to my mind he has every right to his opinion although I do not agree with him I must say. Looking at that particular pipe though it does have a serious engineering flaw which will have contributed to the pipes fatal end, the dreadful heavy handed 'rustication' of the stummel has eaten away almost every last mm of Briar of the bowl base. Had the pipe been engineered better the burn out wouldn't have happened so quickly, but in fairness to the maker the guy is smoking his pipes like he's the Olympics Torch carrier and he would eventually burn out a bowl with a 3cm thick bowl base.

the problem with the guy is not that he burns out pipes, but that he tries to impose his ways on others. Now off to smoke; only have one match left in the box, but that will be plenty ;) 

Briar Spirit":15gadse5 said:
The chaps notion of how a 'real man' smokes his pipes is entirely his opinion and to my mind he has every right to his opinion although I do not agree with him I must say. Looking at that particular pipe though it does have a serious engineering flaw which will have contributed to the pipes fatal end, the dreadful heavy handed 'rustication' of the stummel has eaten away almost every last mm of Briar of the bowl base. Had the pipe been engineered better the burn out wouldn't have happened so quickly, but in fairness to the maker the guy is smoking his pipes like he's the Olympics Torch carrier and he would eventually burn out a bowl with a 3cm thick bowl base.
I think it really matters less how thick the bottom is, his manner of smoking looks to be more of the problem. It was said he's had this SAME problem with OTHER pipes as well. Looks like Operator Error more to me :twisted: 

monbla256":sy9sru4a said:
Briar Spirit":sy9sru4a said:
I think it really matters less how thick the bottom is, his manner of smoking looks to be more of the problem. It was said he's had this SAME problem with OTHER pipes as well. Looks like Operator Error more to me :twisted: 
Yeah, ya think?

:joker: 

Cheers,

RR