Working in I.T. 45 years as of today.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I've seen a lot and done a lot. I've learned that technology is amazing and too many managers are morons.

I'm currently working in a company where the managers are coming and going like crazy. Most seem to have a bad case of ADHD. They're constantly looking for some silver bullet to magically solve their problems instead of "sticking to their knitting".

It has been a real roller coaster ride; mostly down hill the last 20 years.

Enough is enough! Time to retire. :D

Don't worry, you will find plenty of things to occupy your time. The great thing is you can do them on your schedule. Best thing about my retirement was not having to get up at 5 am every morning. Good luck to you.

Wow! 45 years. Amazing. You’ve likely seen it all.

When you started out was it like this?

4B56EFD1-88C9-465F-AC60-C5E83B1685A3.jpeg

Or…like this?

CD9FDDD4-22C1-4622-967F-062214C27351.jpeg

There was a room full of terminals (IBM 3270 model 2 or equivalents, not PCs) with a sign-up sheet for time slots and we each had a cubicle to "desk check" our testing results. I also had 2 cabinets full of IBM manuals in my cubicle.

Thought about going into computers when I was in college but in those days it was all about writing the "language" to make them work. BORRRINNG. Glad I chose a different path, lol.

Congrats on saying "adios" to your COJ. While not retired, I gave up on large companies after the 2008 crash.

And hopefully someone told that forklift driver that he's doing it wrong. o_O

Seriously, DWSmith, congratulations on the life's work. You have earned every moment that you spend on the porch with a pipe!

Facetiously, have you filled out your TPS reports? ()

(yeeaaaah.)

I drove an hour and fifteen minutes today (one way) for a 50 minute meeting. (Managers, as you strongly imply, are morons, no matter what their titles.)

Grab that retirement. Enjoy it. Give the rest of us something to hope for! :)

Best,
Book

Well, I haven't retired yet but it's time to retire. We engaged the services of a financial advisor and had our first meeting with him a couple of weeks ago. After talking with him the question has gone from "Financially are we almost ready to retire?" to "Why the hell am I still working???". It's a good feeling to know that I have control of the situation. I've been sleeping a bit better.

Congrats on the landmark DW.

Doing the IT slog myself, gotta agree the trend of IT these days is getting worse, with cloud tech etc. there's so many places to spread the blame when things go wrong.
I'm 68 1/2 years old and they're telling me that as an engineer (phony baloney title) I will be required to be certified in cloud technology next year. Agile is also the big silver bullet management has endorsed. Anyone with 15 years or more experience recognizes the pieces of Agile from the old days. The pieces have been packaged and a front end affixed so some self-proclaimed company of 'experts' (?) can sell their training services and certifications. ADHD managers grasping for the non-existent silver bullet solutions to the company's problems. And so it goes.

I don't trust any company that would make me a corporate vice president! :D

While I agree most managers are morons, I like to think I was the exception. As DOM and VP of Maintenance and Operations I always tried to keep my job in perspective. 1) make sure the a/c got fixed properly, 2) take care of the employees and treat them the way I would want to be treated, 3) keep the owners/customers happy by treating them honestly and courteously. Every thing else was pretty much BS.

I'm 68 1/2 years old and they're telling me that as an engineer (phony baloney title) I will be required to be certified in cloud technology next year. Agile is also the big silver bullet management has endorsed. Anyone with 15 years or more experience recognizes the pieces of Agile from the old days. The pieces have been packaged and a front end affixed so some self-proclaimed company of 'experts' (?) can sell their training services and certifications. ADHD managers grasping for the non-existent silver bullet solutions to the company's problems. And so it goes.

I don't trust any company that would make me a corporate vice president! :D

Yeah, twenty years younger here so I've not seen it as much as you but I find IT to be very cyclical. Move stuff out of house for "savings", bring it back in when the outsiders start charging the real costs after the initial contract. Some new manager comes in and it starts all over again etc.

I had recently been part of an agileish team for the better part of a decade, they were brilliant developers who knew their stuff pretty well. Coded well put together systems that hardly needed my touch as a sysadmin. Their only downside was the usual dev prevalence of trying new tech on every project whether it needed it or not. A pain in the arse for viewing system logs as each one was different.

Funny thing is corp are stating that the whole org is now an agile corp after years of resisting from high up but the business have been liking it for a long while. When done well the agile take works well. Gradually giving people what they need rather than suddenly dropping an entierely new application.

"The pieces have been packaged and a front end affixed so some self-proclaimed company of 'experts' (?) can sell their training services and certifications. "

Oh it's all a grift, but then all IT certification has been all along.

I've been rejected from jobs I've got actuall experience in as I don't have X certification. Bwahaha your loss tosser and probably a good sign I did not want to actually work there.

"I don't trust any company that would make me a corporate vice president!"

Yep, had a company 20 years ago insisting I needed to add going into managment as a career goal, I asked them if they had ever managed "engineers" much. Yeah I hate the engineer title too but also hate that my current org has me listed as a Senior Advisor, Configuration and Access Management. I've no idea what that means and neither does my boss. I do what I do and get paid for it, as the saying goes, they pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

Last edited:
I went ahead and filed for Social Security as soon as I can get it next year. If my employer ticks me off I'll just walk away. If they don't tick me off I'll get a little extra money for a while and then politely resign.

As far as amount of notice to give, I still like the comment about telling them at lunch time that it's my last day. :)