Working in I.T. 45 years as of today.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closest I've come was acting manager for my old boss when he was on leave, was mighty glad to get back to my sysadmin role when he got back.
Forgive me if I've mentioned this before but my old boss used to say that it scared him when I took time off because was never sure how to to do one large part of my job when he backed me up. It's a strange setup but I owned and maintained almost 400 testing ID's that the testing community used in our test environments. I was the only one who was allowed the authority to fix them.

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before but my old boss used to say that it scared him when I took time off because was never sure how to to do one large part of my job when he backed me up. It's a strange setup but I owned and maintained almost 400 testing ID's that the testing community used in our test environments. I was the only one who was allowed the authority to fix them.
Not this boss, he was one of the best I've ever worked for and made sure there was always someone who could cover for any other team member and also prompted us to write great systems documentation so just about any one could sit down and do my tasks.

You'd think that would make my situation open to redundancy but it actually made me more secure as the business loved me because I was able to swiftly help them get back on their feet in a systems outage, due to the aforesaid documentation.

I always try not to be the only one that knows a system but sadly I've been thrust into that situation as my admin colleague has been off on workers comp for pinched nerves for almost two years. They can't backfill her role for BS reasons...

I'm enjoying my first real break in 18 months.

I spent about 15 years as an IT engineer before making the switch to management ~5 years ago. I've met a lot of crusty BOFH types who refuse to write anything down or share their knowledge because they think being the only one who knows how to do something gives them power or job security.

I would much rather do the documentation, provide training, and walk people through things so that I'm not always the one getting called when there's a problem at 3AM. I'm starting a new position in a few weeks because I've essentially worked myself out of my current job...everyone on the team is so trained up that they don't need to call me at all anymore.

I spent about 15 years as an IT engineer before making the switch to management ~5 years ago. I've met a lot of crusty BOFH types who refuse to write anything down or share their knowledge because they think being the only one who knows how to do something gives them power or job security.

I would much rather do the documentation, provide training, and walk people through things so that I'm not always the one getting called when there's a problem at 3AM. I'm starting a new position in a few weeks because I've essentially worked myself out of my current job...everyone on the team is so trained up that they don't need to call me at all anymore.
Bingo, got it in one, let others do the work and move onto to something new. If I'm being disturbed at 3AM, either I've done something wrong or it's my turn to be on call.

Talking of BOFH, here's one of my favourite episodes, BOFH

Didn't realise it was the official first ep at that, till I wen't digging for it. Sadly Simon's official archives don't include the earlist episodes.

Last edited:
Fortunately my security work was very well documented by me. The problem was that unless you were me you didn't have authorization to perform my security work and could get yourself fired if you somehoe knew/used my passwords and pretended you were me. It was a mess created by my predecessor and management, except for my boss, wanted to live things as they were.

The IT field was the last straw for me and prompted my retirement. The network gurus shutdown the road design software exe, the printer snmp, DOS prompt and made everyone user. So no printing designs, no temp files could be created for calculating as a user (vs. an administrator), and killing the exe was the final straw. They were proficient in just disconnecting the CAT cables at the switch and then if they got a complaint they would plug it back in, if they still had a spot.

I don't miss the bovine scatology and even could be growing some hair back in now. Enjoy whatever decision you make.

Fortunately my security work was very well documented by me. The problem was that unless you were me you didn't have authorization to perform my security work and could get yourself fired if you somehoe knew/used my passwords and pretended you were me. It was a mess created by my predecessor and management, except for my boss, wanted to live things as they were.
If it ain't broke don't fix it thinkology really pisses me off.

There're methodologies called best practice for a reason...

Great to hear you've escaped mate, please tell me you did the lunchtime departure move that was mentioned earlier.
Not quite. I emailed my boss that I planned to resign and he said he wanted to meet with me first and would set up a meeting. I waited for a meeting for a week then sent him an email at 5 pm that that was my last day. He called me the next morning and said he wanted a 2 week notice and that I would be paid for the next 2 weeks but wouldn't have to work. I think that made him look better to his management, not that I cared, but I played the game and re-resigned for 2 weeks later. Then I did what I wanted for those 2 weeks.

I got paid for those 2 weeks plus the vacation time I had accrued. Regular pay for the full month of January plus Social Security Monday for the full month of January. Sweet!

Not quite. I emailed my boss that I planned to resign and he said he wanted to meet with me first and would set up a meeting. I waited for a meeting for a week then sent him an email at 5 pm that that was my last day. He called me the next morning and said he wanted a 2 week notice and that I would be paid for the next 2 weeks but wouldn't have to work. I think that made him look better to his management, not that I cared, but I played the game and re-resigned for 2 weeks later. Then I did what I wanted for those 2 weeks.

I got paid for those 2 weeks plus the vacation time I had accrued. Regular pay for the full month of January plus Social Security Monday for the full month of January. Sweet!

Nice stuff, odd they didn't scream for handover as that would currently happen to me if I did that. But yes they'd also wait for over a week to schedule a meeting about it too.

Timbo said, "Nice stuff, odd they didn't scream for handover as that would currently happen to me if I did that. But yes they'd also wait for over a week to schedule a meeting about it too."

The boss said he was doing that intentionally but I don't know why.

Glad Friday is over and was successful! I had my long awaited back surgery.

Due to spinal stenosis from arthritis) I had a decompression and fusion (titanium cage) of L3-L4-L5 in my lower back Friday morning. Now come the 6 weeks of recovery. I can already see some positive changes and after the swelling subsides I should be even better.

Good way to begin a retirement! Maybe I will be able to take long walks and go fishing this spring.

Last edited: