Workshop

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGErwin11

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
This is where my pipes are created and born.
IMG_20141130_123541_zpsdfqbmxrz.jpg

It replaced this
ShopBefore_zpsc0f56be1.jpg

Code:
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/swMcX/embed"></iframe>

DGErwin11":46cs2cbm said:
This link should take yo to a slde show showing "From Block To Pipe".
https://imgur.com/a/swMcX
Is that a Pimo tenon cutter your using?
The reason I ask is I don't recognize it and it looks much smaller
then what I use and fits in a Jacobs chuck ta boot.

Cartaphilus":d468vcdo said:
DGErwin11":d468vcdo said:
Yup, a PIMO. Pipe Maker's Emporium sells one very similar.

DGErwin11":d5e86bu1 said:
Cartaphilus":d5e86bu1 said:
DGErwin11":d5e86bu1 said:
Yup, a PIMO. Pipe Maker's Emporium sells one very similar.
Oh Okay, I couldn't really tell, I thought maybe you found something different.
I use one like this but a much older model, I chuck it in my lathe.
And I know how it is working outside. Had about what you had on a carport.
Winters and summers here were brutal till I spent the cash for a regular shop
out back. Now I've got heating and A/C, what a blessing.

No A/C and heat comes from a little heater that sits on a Coleman bottle. But it does not take much to heat 45 sf of shop, even with all the air gaps I left. Need the air gaps for those times I have to run my clothes dryer. It vents floor level under the drill press. That fan will be all the help I get this summer.

DGErwin11":d0bwnyhm said:
No A/C and heat comes from a little heater that sits on a Coleman bottle. But it does not take much to heat 45 sf of shop, even with all the air gaps I left. Need the air gaps for those times I have to run my clothes dryer. It vents floor level under the drill press. That fan will be all the help I get this summer.
Save your pennies sir and get ya a shop to hide in, there well worth the expense.
Heck I'm on a limited income and did it and payed it off in I think a year.
It's only 11x 8 inside but, I got everything I need in there. Granted it cost a bit
more for me to electrify, insulate and, a small 5000btu A/C unit. But, even with the A/C
on 24/7 in the summer and the heat during the winter we never seen a jump in the electric bill.
I have it so air tight that if I fart one day I can come in the next and still smell it. ;)

Cartaphilus":5ylt4214 said:
....I have it so air tight that if I fart one day I can come in the next and still smell it. ;)
Too much detail :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Really cool shop! I liked the step by step photos as well. You sir are an artist!

I used to enjoy woodworking, don't do it as much as I used to, but really want to get back into the hobby.
When I was in high school I took woodworking my sophmore year, and the shop teacher recommended drafting the next year. So I decided to take advanced woodworking junior year & introductory to drafting. I really enjoyed them, they were both taught by the same shop teacher, who by the way was a pipe smoker! My senior year I took architectural drafting & advanced woodworking again even though I wasn't going to get credit for the class. The shop teacher asked me why I was taking a class I wouldn't get credit for and I told him to learn more from you. I had never seen that man get emotional until then.

I didn't mean to go on & on, just seeing the workshop brought back memories, thanks for sharing that!

TwelveAMnTX":63vfxxmp said:
... My senior year I took architectural drafting & advanced woodworking again even though I wasn't going to get credit for the class. The shop teacher asked me why I was taking a class I wouldn't get credit for and I told him to learn more from you. I had never seen that man get emotional until then.
It is my understanding that this is what true teachers live for, not the pay or whatever status attaches to the profession.