worst candy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a penny candy I had as a kid that was these small wax bottles with neon colored liquid inside. You bit the top off and drank the liquid. It was a syrupy sweet concoction that was pretty awful. You were supposed to chew the wax but I never did. Disgusting!

Cheers,

RR

Another awful penny candy was those dots that were stuck to a roll of wax paper. The candy store clerk cut off a length depending on how much you bought. These were then peeled off the wax paper, usually with some of the wax paper stuck to them which you had to spit out. The candy itself was chalky, gritty, and not very pleasant.

Cheers,

RR

I miss that super thin, flat taffy that had a white stripe down the middle and that was wrapped in wax paper. Maybe 4"s wide or so. I used to roll them up like fruit rollups. It was a bummer when it was stale and would crack into dust all over the place. A messy thing when not fresh.

I miss that super thin, flat taffy that had a white stripe down the middle and that was wrapped in wax paper. Maybe 4"s wide or so. I used to roll them up like fruit rollups. It was a bummer when it was stale and would crack into dust all over the place. A messy thing when not fresh.

Sounds like Bonomo (sp?) Turkish Taffy. I liked the banana flavor and would put it in the freezer before breaking it into little pieces. It's a wonder I didn't pull out all my fillings!

Cheers,

RR

I just did a quick search, and it might be McCraw's Old Fashioned Flat Taffy. Looks like you can still buy it, but I haven't seen it in your basic grocery store or dime store in a very long time. Remember Ben Franklin Dime Stores? That was my joint when I was a kid. From candy to pea shooters to comic books to all the junk. If it was a $.25, it was priced high.

https://www.amazon.com/McGraws-Giant-Taffy-Candy-Flavors/dp/B00BA1KOEA

I just did a quick search, and it might be McCraw's Old Fashioned Flat Taffy. Looks like you can still buy it, but I haven't seen it in your basic grocery store or dime store in a very long time. Remember Ben Franklin Dime Stores? That was my joint when I was a kid. From candy to pea shooters to comic books to all the junk. If it was a $.25, it was priced high.

https://www.amazon.com/McGraws-Giant-Taffy-Candy-Flavors/dp/B00BA1KOEA

Ya you are probably right. Bonomo Turkish Taffy was probably much smaller and thicker. I do remember those long flat strips tho.

I used to go to a Woolworth's 5 and dime. They had a glass case on the front counter with all the penny candy and they had a great variety, for a little kid anyways. Everything was 1 cent. My Mom would give me dime and in I'd go, all agog at the choices. Jawbreakers were a fave along with cinnamon balls which always had a hot flavor. Jawbreakers were large and seemed to have many layers, all a different color and flavor. They would last a long time.

Probably my favorite were these little fruit flavored discs wrapped in a plastic sleeve, maybe 20 individual discs similar to a lifesaver shape but much smaller. I would savor each one of those, where most kids would put them all into their mouth all at once!

Cheers,

RR