WOW! I am boring!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baweaverpipes

Reaction score
I have been smoking Dunhill Three Year Matured for many years and have finally become tired of the same old thing. Latakia blends at one time wowed me but, I can't handle them any more. So, recently I broke open a jar of 2 year old 5100 and was very pleased. Along with that I tested some older VA #1 and HH Mature Virginia.
Question-Can anyone suggest something else that might pique my interest?
Thanks,
Bruce

Astley's 109, Orlik Golden Slices, Reiner's Long Golden Slices, Escudo, Tilbury, Dorchester, some of the Rattray's virginias, some of the Butera virginias, other McClelland virginias, McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake. Lots of others to experiment with but beware of the scented Lakeland tobaccos which taste like soap or perfume to some of us.

Bruce: Since it sounds as if you're heading towards VA's anyway, I'd suggest Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and St James Flake. Rattray's also makes several good VA blends (Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Hal o' the Wynd), and Solani has some absolutely delicious VA's. Many folks here also swear by GL Pease blends, and as he is a regular board contributor, he may even be able to offer suggestions that would help to expedite your search.

If you look at the GL Pease blends, try Stratford for sure. Laurel Heights, Fillmore, and Embarcadero are very nice selections with more than average flavor. Montgomery is for when you have nothing in the world to do. Great in the summer on the porch with a glass of iced tea and the time to simply pay attention to the pipe.

Gawith Hoggarth & Co. "Curley Cut Deluxe"

It is a bulk, but somewhat expensive. Pm your address to me and I'll send you a 2oz. jar that is about two years old. Be my pleasure.

I'd second some suggestions already made and add some others. Full Va. Flake and Christmas Cheer for straight Virginia. Escudo and Haddo's Delight for Va/Per. Embarcadero for an awesome Virgina/Oriental.

You gentleman are just great! Thanks for all the help. Being somewhat compulsive, it looks like some cash is going to be spent :shock:
Thanks,
Bruce

I'll second the FVF. If you're interested in VA/Pers I can highly recommend H&H's Anniversary Kake. If you'd like a VA/Per with a good room note, Just For Him pipe shop in Springfield, MO sells one called Golden Cashmere that is a great smoke and my wife loves the aroma. GLP Haddo's Delight is another good one.

Smokey

Looks like the GLP recommendations are pretty well covered for VAs -- Fillmore, Embarcadero -- don't forget Cairo! Especially with some age. G&H Curly Cut is another good recommendation -- I prefer the regular, but that's just me. St. James Flake, maybe? I've just discovered G&H Brown Bogie rope, which is kind of like Curly Cut Plus, same sort of profile, but deeper, darker, more cigary. There are many, many good Virginias, you could stick with Red VA and stay busy for a long time. Wessex Red VA Flake, H&H LA Red, etc. For VA in general Friborg&Treyer make some good ones, Cut VA Plug and Vintage come to mind. Germain, too. Since you're experimenting you might as well try G&H Dark Birdseye -- some object to its strength, but I don't find it overly strong, just very flavorful. C&D Briar Fox is another favorite of mine. Yep, this is going to cost you. :)

Jack

With respect, I feel I should add a caveat to howellhandmade's recommendations for GH Brown Bogie and Dark Birdseye. These are VERY strong tobaccos. Beware the nico-punch.

alfredo_buscatti":cuql4amh said:
With respect, I feel I should add a caveat to howellhandmade's recommendations for GH Brown Bogie and Dark Birdseye. These are VERY strong tobaccos. Beware the nico-punch.
Right. Sorry, I was thinking in terms of my own enthusiasm. I don't know if you can have that particular type and strength of flavor without commensurate nicotine. I think it's like switching from coffee to espresso, or from beer to scotch. If you don't change the size of the glass and the volume and frequency of the swallow, you could have a negative experience. But the taste! I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of ropes in general, but I love Curly Cut, which obviously starts out as a rope, and the step from Curly Cut to Brown Bogie is, I think, smaller and more rewarding than the step to Brown #4. I find the latter's strength/taste ratio to be tipped toward strength, and I don't hand out recommendations for it -- if somebody wants to grab those two wires he'll do it on his own.

Jack

Regarding strength it reminds me of my Father in laws advise when he made me my first Martini. "Now remember boy it doesn't take to many of those to make a dozen"

Back to tobacco, I also highly recommend GLP Fillmore and Samuel Gawith Full Virgina Flake. Both blend are simply amazing, to me Fillmore is much more complex with wonderful twists and turns right to the last draw. Both will age better than Joan Rivers with a room full of plastic surgeons. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you...

As far as VA's go I like Old Gowrie and Astley's 109. Pease's Stratford is good also.

Hi Bruce,

You've received a lot of good suggestions. But, I'll throw in a few as well.

For Virginia blends, I think Fribourg & Treyer tobaccos are exquisite, especially Cut Virginia Plug, Special Brown Flake and Golden Mixture. But I'll also recommend their Vintage and their Cut Blended Plug.

Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is probably my desert island Virginia blend. But you might also enjoy Sam's Flake (with a little oriental in it). I also really like their Special No. 6, which is a real bargain.

McClelland's bulk 2010 and 2015 are also favorites of mine, along with 5100. Of their tinned blends, their Blackwoods Flake is remarkable.

Coming from English blends, you might really enjoy Virginia-oriental blends. I mentioned Sam's Flake. Since you like 5100, I feel comfortable recommending another McClelland's - their no. 24, which has some oriental. Others have mentioned GLPease's Cairo and Embarcadero - both excellent blends.

And then McClelland has recently released their Grand Oriental Series. I really liked Katerini Classic and Yenidje Supreme.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with your exploration.

TC

My cellar is going to increase dramatically, as well as pocket :|
I thank all for your wonderful advice.
Bruce

Since it appears that you are liking Virginias, you might want to try S. Gawith Full Virginia Flake and for something to wow the taste buds, try Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Scented Brown Flake. These are two amazing tobaccos, in my estimation.

Jay