Yahoo Web Hosting?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with Yahoo web hosting?

It appears to be simple, intuitive and easy to edit.

Thanks,
Mike

I have used them in the past, they are very stable but the resources they claim to offer are not accurate, you don't actually get the HUGE amount of webspace or Bandwidth they claim to offer as you will discover if your site over-clocks their CPU but you have to be running some outrageous Crons or Scripts for this to happen. I stopped using them as I purchased a vBulletin license and you need .htaccess to run some functions in that software and they don't allow you to use .htaccess files on their server, they claim it's a security risk which of course it isn't but what can you do. They argue that you can Password protect files and folders as if this somehow makes up for the denial of .htaccess usage, not a problem if you don't need/want to use those.

All in all they are a good hosting solution but they are far from perfect, support is okay so long as you don't have any 'difficult' questions, up-time is hard to fault, I only suffered a couple of downtimes and each time is was for a very short period. They claim to have pretty good search engine functionality but this you can achieve yourself with creating a site map for engines to use and of course submitting your sites URL to search engines to crawl.

Geoff,

I am considering a web site to display the pipes I have for sale.

I would think just a moderate amount of traffic at most.

Thanks,

Mike

I can tell you that the Yahoo Web Store is very easy to use and had used it myself for a time until I could setup a proper e-commerce site on Bluehost.

Some other options to consider if not tech savvy -

Google Sites
1on1
Host Gator

if you plan on doing more or have someone with web skills help you I would seriously consider BlueHost as well. They have really good support and you can deploy e-commerce or wordpress or any number of things to support a more rich experience. 1and1 and Host Gator can deploy those items as well but like I said, support is key.

If just simple web hosting is all you need either Yahoo or Google Sites will likely cover you. Let me know if you need any help or questions.

Thank you Geoff,

That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Mike B