Yamamoto paper vs the rest.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Ask most pen freaks out there what the best paper for fountain pens is and the immediate reply will likely be Tomoe River. Recently the long loved Tomoe River paper (fountain pen friendly) company was sold and the new folks reportedly changed the formula and the resulting uproar has been deafening. Well, aside from Clairefontaine (French…wonderful stuff…used by Rhodia) and a few others the options are few.

But in steps a new kid on the block…Yamamoto. I recently had YouTube shove a report on “Yamamoto Cosmo Note A5 Notebook” under my nose. The reports have been very, very good so I placed an order over at Jet Pens, which I think is the sole USA outlet. I saw one other vendor but they were based in Asia and shipping alone was the same as the cost of the notebook alone via Jet. I ordered two notebooks to qualify for free shipping (usually $8).

I’ll let anyone interested to view the various YouTube reviews for specific physical nuances but the general feedback is that the oaoer has a very slight tooth, like vellum, and shows off sheen and shimmer in inks particularly well. It’s heavier than Tomoe River paper and does extremely well at preventing show-through.

Check it out…

Yamamoto Cosmo Note Notebook - A5 - Plain (88 sheets per notebook) 83 gsm.​

https://www.jetpens.com/Yamamoto-Cosmo-Note-Notebook-A5-Plain/pd/30762#index=1

Oh? I’ll keep this in mind when I use up my mnemosyne notebooks.

Well goodness I think a have a couple of Tomoe River notebooks laying around here somewhere. But honestly I have enjoyed writing on the Rhodia small notepads. I don’t drag my palm through the ink as bad due to the smaller pad. But I will definitely check them out thanks

I love Rhodia stuff. They use Clairfontaine paper…made in France. Very good product.

Then there’s “Bank Paper” which is special. (aren’t they all). Galen Leather has top bound pads of LIFE brand Bank Paper. 100 SHEETS (200 pages).

https://www.galenleather.com/produc...-rdlKXMIGB4kXEfNUBR0HIZI1Vcq2BSwaAl9EEALw_wcB
D87F4CAE-FBFF-43D6-8FC8-496620E42EFC.jpeg

Then there’s the primo Bank Paper notebook. It’s a small run custom notebook offered by a YouTube channel operator…because he couldn’t find what he wanted anywhere else. Read the specs…the most unique aspect? It

Mitsubishi Bank Paper
192 pages of 87.9 gsm Mitsubishi Bank Paper
7mm light gray rule
Stitched binding with 12 signatures
Paper cloth cover
Black woven bookmark
Gray end papers
A5 size 148 mm x 210 mm
Made in Japan

192 pages of 87.9 gsm Mitsubishi Bank Paper

• 7mm light gray rule

• Stitched binding with 12 signatures

• Paper cloth cover

• Black woven bookmark

• Gray end papers

• A5 size 148 mm x 210 mm

• Made in Japan

https://thepapermind.com/products/mitsubishi-bank-paper-notebook

That’s a nice looking notebook

I guess the “thing” about this one is the combo of the Japanese Bank Paper and that it’s ruled and assembled in a glued & stitched, lie flat notebook. I think you could find the same A5 size book in Tomoe River or the Cosmo Air Light paper other places…but no with the Bank Paper, etc.

I ordered one…but I’m a total paper-holic. That and the fact that I could get it in red.