Yard & Garden Work 2008

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Well I just raked and fertilized the front lawn. It's quite small with a minature weeping birch tree in the centre. My wife wants to cut down the shrubbery on the front of the house. We'll continue to focus on perennials and ween off annuals as much as possible.

Projects... fixed the gate to back yard. Paint the fence. Lay some more slate rock. There's some around the tool shed that we laid two years ago. Just continue adding to it, I guess but the "boss of the projects" will let me know. Paint some more trim on the house that is peeling. Scrape and paint rthe back deck.

Most of these projects go well with "beer" and a pipeful. Today I tried out a "small cigar" Panter Blue and it was quite enjoyable.

Feels good to be outside...

:D Paul

Spent all of this past weekend working in the yard! Grass is already needing to be cut again!

thomas james":d2bsq5cm said:
Slow Puffs":d2bsq5cm said:
Feels good to be outside...

Paul
Feels good to be outside.

I think I'll leave it outside.
Last week, after a month of beautiful weather and the snow finally disappearing, we had 4 days of snow and just in two or three days of fine weather, the snow is gone again :lol: . People up north get "cabin fever"... can't even use the decks... the only downside is that the wasps will soon reappear :cry: .

:D Paul

The "yard" to my apartment is made out of brick. I have no clue how my landlord got it to grow, but it sure is easy to maintain :)

hazmat":1kbfuib6 said:
The "yard" to my apartment is made out of brick. I have no clue how my landlord got it to grow, but it sure is easy to maintain :)
I envy you!!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days!

Justpipes":gd5g3wax said:
hazmat":gd5g3wax said:
I envy you!!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days!
Honestly, I'd much rather have a yard to deal with. I've never had one in my life, ever, and it would be kind of cool(for a little while, at least) to do that kind of work. I often help friends do their landscaping and I enjoy the work. After a week behind a computer, actually doing something that feels like real work is nice.

I sure miss doing this kind of work!! Either its because its almost impossible to have a yard here or I can't do the work because of the back and knees . Roses, with a little work sure do grow great out heere. I'd love to have a big rose bed to work in. I'll have to figure something out LOL :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny:

I cut mine yesterday; it's a two double corona job. :lol:
deered12.jpg

All my helper wants to do is drink beer. :lol:

I am new to serious yard work, as my house last year had an all concrete patio instead of the acre of lawn I now have to contend with. I am on the verge on getting a lawn tractor, shed, weed whacker, and maybe a blower (not to mention hearing protection, etc.). Beats paying the crew to do it every week, I guess (I shall soon know).

-Andrew

Hermit":g295010q said:
I cut mine yesterday; it's a two double corona job. :lol:
deered12.jpg

All my helper wants to do is drink beer. :lol:
You and Carlos should have race...

:lol: :lol: Paul

Yard work begins the week of Valentine's day in my neck of the woods. First, a few of the trees are pruned before they leaf out. Then, the lawn is jolted with fertilizer and crabgrass pre-emergent. Weeds are pulled, and a week later more weeds are pulled. The lawn is mowed.

Then we pull some weeds.

Followed by weed pulling.

Did I mention pulling weeds?

Weeds. They pop up. We pull 'em.

Still need to pressure wash the patio and seal it. I'll get around to it dear, I promise. I did replace a sickly tree in the front yard. My sore back keeps reminding me.

We do enjoy our little yard in suburbia. :poncho:

Don't tell me about weed pulling.
The land across the road from me is a damn thistle plantation.
The South wind blows all the white fuzzies all over my 2.5 acres.
It looks like one of those snow globes. :roll:
If .001% of em germinate, I'll be pulling thistle weeds for the rest of the century. :evil:

Are you still allowed to use weed-killer? It's getting harder and harder to find something that is on the market to spray the lawn with?

Then, as you suggest, there's always pulling them...

Our house is at the end of the street and we are surrounded by "field" on two sides. I've spent the last 3 years spot treating the Star Thistle (out in the field) with round up, and I think it's nearly gone. We get our share of stuff that blows into the yard, not to mention, voles, rattlesnakes, turkeys, hawks, owls, rabbits, raccoons, and mice. And bugs! Can't keep the damn millipedes out of the house.

It's totally worth it. :mrgreen:

By the way, there is a product that you can spray on the weeds that grow in your lawn. It won't kill the lawn, only the weeds. It's called "Ortho Weed Be Gone Max. Kills weeds not Lawns."

Ya gotta be careful not use weed killer or weed-n-feed fertilizers around your trees.
I'd still rather deal with the weeds than all the damn fire ants. :evil: