Year end...post your favorite project photo.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So, being retired, my job is playing in the shop while smoking my pipes. I know, it's tough, but I earned it.

Anyway, my focus for each day is to make things that "speak to me" as they say. Well they must say that somewhere. What makes something special for me is that it's an item that is extremely beautiful, made of the finest materials (which are sometimes things that I find along a beach or a dusty back road) but above all is ideally suited to it's intended purpose. And if a little humor or playfullness exists within the theme or the design...all the better.

With that as a set-up, I think it would be cool for others (as well as myself) to post a photo or two of their favorite projects from the past year...their own of course...with a little description of course, just to remind us of any specifics re: materials, application, etc. And most important, what it is about it that is special to you...WHY is it your favorite?

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of shots of two knives. Both knives are designed for whittling or carving. One has an EnZo O1 Blade from Finland with a carved Extreme Curely Birch handle...bolster and spacers of nickel silver and ivory paper micarta. It's a handfull and capable of some heavy work, but the blade is very fine and holds an extremely sharp edge. The butt forms a stylized seal head with sterling silver eyes and nostrils. The other employs another Finnish blade...made by Rosseli and from their propriatary Ultra High Carbon line. It will take a scary sharp edge and hold it seemingy all day. The handle is a fine piece of Snakewood with bolster, buttcap and spacers from brass and black paper micarta. Notice that the neck of the handle is very narrow...ideal for holding with thumb, index and middle finger...doing the kind of fine work that the blade is capable of...but with a long and heavy butt that also allows a full grip for extreme leverage.

These two knives represent the essence of what a fine knife should be (to me)...form following function...incredible materials directed toward a specific task...great beauty in balance and theme...excellence in the craft of fabricating them...to the best of MY level of ability at least.

DSCN1601.jpg

DSCN1600.jpg

Okay - now it's somebody else's turn.

Those are beauts BH. Wish I could say I made something this year, but other than one really ugly pipe I really didn't make anything. Definitely have to change that this coming year, even if it is just working on vehicle lift or anything.

Nice knives, that top one would work excellent for caping deer heads.

Here's a pic of the traditional arm guard i built for my wife using 10 oz wicket & Craig leather & sting ray for the arrow head inlay w/deer horn buttons. /f40/17/60/48/41/stingr10.jpg[/img][/url]

OMG! That's fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen a pierced design on traditional leatherwork before. And with the black ray behind it, it really works well. I'll bet she gets a lot of comments on that one!

Besides the pipes I have made this year, eleven so far, I think my favorite project was completing the paintings for my art show. These are bad photos, and unfortunately there were no photos taken that were that good. If anyone is interested in some abstract minimal art though...

:)

artshow

rev

Does home renovations count? I'm in the middle of a bath room renovation.

It is a .50 smooth bore. Pistol of no particular style. Just aspects I like, or can manage. The wood I want to use is curly maple, but it is going to be a tight fit. This is my first attempt at such a thing.

Andy

Sounds like an ambitious project to me. I did a CVA Hawken kit years ago which actually turned out pretty well...and very accurate to my way of thinking. Standing with a leaning rest it would put round after round into an inch and a half at 75 yards, using Pyrodex. It always just seemed odd to pull that second trigger and then stand around, maybe have a smoke, chat with the guys up at the range, tryin' to maintain that good target picture til the load finally caught. Good lesson in patience though.