You Thought I Was Kidding?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. It’s like this great delicacy…right?

1654138306531.png

In Vietnam, I was told that some peasants did indeed eat rat. A major who had spent much time in the boonies, informed me that these were not those nasty bubonic plague-carrying vermin that wiped out a third of Europe, but "rice rats," which fed on the rice plants and were therefore considered pests---and were clean animals and no worse than rabbits, as far as eating is concerned. I never tried them, thank you very much.

I've raised rabbits for the table in the past and plan on starting again. I also read that some cultures raise gerbils for meat. If a non carnivorous animals is raised in a clean environment with a healthy diet it's probably edible. I prefer to raise meat animals that provide two to six portions of protein rather than small animals that are served in multiples like quail, two per serving.

I've raised rabbits for the table in the past and plan on starting again. I also read that some cultures raise gerbils for meat. If a non carnivorous animals is raised in a clean environment with a healthy diet it's probably edible. I prefer to raise meat animals that provide two to six portions of protein rather than small animals that are served in multiples like quail, two per serving.
When I was working in Georgia I had a friend who was a big dove hunter. Never could understand rhat as it took 6 of them to make a meal, lol. I liked to hunt pheasant in the Midwest as 2 of them would feed 4 or 5 people.

The truth is that when you're actually hungry, truly hungry, anything lower than you on the food chain is on the menu. And availability puts things at the top of the menu. Rats, pigeons, cats, and dogs were all on the menu in occupied France during the second World War. That doesn't make it haut cuisine but it does become an ethnic staple if enough people rely on it.

In Vietnam, I was told that some peasants did indeed eat rat. A major who had spent much time in the boonies, informed me that these were not those nasty bubonic plague-carrying vermin that wiped out a third of Europe, but "rice rats," which fed on the rice plants and were therefore considered pests---and were clean animals and no worse than rabbits, as far as eating is concerned. I never tried them, thank you very much.

Interesting…google “rat on a stick”…yikes!

So, no hamster ranch in your future?

Well, in SERE training I ate grubs just to prove I wasn't a candy ass wuss. A couple of other guys tried it but they both threw up, lol. I would have to be absolutely starving to do it again.