You Wouldn't Want to Live in My City

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score

One killed, 14 wounded in shooting inside a St. Paul bar early Sunday morning​

One woman is dead and another 14 people were wounded in an early morning shootout at a St. Paul bar.
Shortly after midnight on Sunday, police said people began "frantically" calling 911 and begging for help. Police arrived to a chaotic scene at Seventh Street Truck Park, a busy bar and food hall on the 200 block of Seventh Street West, to find more than a dozen gunshot victims. A woman in her 20s was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

"My heart breaks for the woman who was killed, her loved ones and everyone else who was in that bar this morning," said St. Paul Chief of Police Todd Axtell in a statement. "In an instant, they found themselves caught in a hellish situation. I want them to know that we have the best investigators in the country, and we won't stop until we find the people responsible for this madness. We will do our part to hold them accountable."

No arrests have been made and the 32nd homicide for the city so far this year remains under investigation.

Dave Cosetta, owner of the family restaurant that's been a landmark in the neighborhood since 1911 and on West Seventh Street since the 1980s, said crime has been an increasing concern in the area. He said he and other business owners in the area blame the uptick on a homeless shelter a few blocks away from Cosetta.

"Seventh Street has become a lot more dangerous lately," Cosetta said. "There's been a lot of issues more than ever and that's pretty much the way it's been for over a year. I don't know the circumstances across the street (where the shooting occurred) but it's been a common theme lately."

Cosetta said there have been confrontations outside his restaurant and he said guys have pulled knives on people in broad daylight. "It's scary," he said. "There's stuff going on in the day. In the nighttime it only accelerates." He said city officials have not listened to local business owners' concerns about the recent wave in criminal activity.

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, who represents St. Paul, issued a statement saying, "the epidemic of gun violence plaguing the Twin Cities has hit us in St. Paul with a mass shooting event that can only be described as a horror."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Above from today's newspaper. The bar/restaurant is a popular local place frequented by young people and by the hockey crowd before and after a MN Wild hockey game. It's just a few steps from the Xcel Energy Center where the Wild play. You'd never expect that it'd be a place where gang violence would occur. It's not in the article, but it's obvious that a couple of gangs got into a dispute and starting shooting at each other. Dave Cosetta's remarks that the violence is a product of the homeless shelter has little validity to this situation. There are bouncers at the door checking I.D.s and manner of dress.

Just a few days ago, two cars filled with gang bangers had a shootout driving the streets of downtown Minneapolis. They ultimately crashed, killing an innocent woman on a scooter, Because many in the two cars were wounded, they are in the hospital in police custody.

Last edited:
And yet they want to get rid of the police department. When I lived in MSP working for the airlines back in 82 to 84 it was a beautiful city. Too bad it's turned into such a hell hole

And yet they want to get rid of the police department.
The problem is the courts and judges. Typical case: Two 17-year-olds, both armed, rob and hijack an elderly couple at gunpoint. They crash the car and are arrested. Both are released to their parents; no time served.

The problem is the courts and judges. Typical case: Two 17-year-olds, both armed, rob and hijack an elderly couple at gunpoint. They crash the car and are arrested. Both are released to their parents; no time served.
Yep, problem everywhere, especially big cities. No consequence for wrong doing.

Twin Cities Pioneer Press:
Kathy Gosiger, general manager of Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub on West Seventh, said news of the shooting spread rapidly among bar owners, and her restaurant almost instantly locked its doors and made sure patrons got safely into cars or Ubers.
“This absolutely impacts us,” she said. “The Truck Park, sadly, is known to have problems. …

The police in this city are wonderful, but there’s no leadership coming from the mayor’s office or the city council.”

And yet they want to get rid of the police department. When I lived in MSP working for the airlines back in 82 to 84 it was a beautiful city. Too bad it's turned into such a hell hole
I’m from the area and at that time the Hells Angles were “working” as baggage handlers for NWA and running drugs though MSP. They were busted but received just a slap on the wrist.

I’m from the area and at that time the Hells Angles were “working” as baggage handlers for NWA and running drugs though MSP. They were busted but received just a slap on the wrist.
Yep, I remember that incident. DEA was checking all the airlines. Took them a while to figure out it was NWA.

Two suspects have been charged with felonies in connection with a shootout that killed 27-year-old Marquisha Wiley and injured 14 others early Sunday morning in St. Paul's entertainment district. Terry Brown, 31, of St. Paul, has been charged with one count of second-degree murder and 11 counts of attempted second-degree murder. Devondre Phillips, 29, of Las Vegas, is charged with 12 counts of second-degree murder.
Both of the suspects were taken to hospitals to be treated for gunshot wounds. Brown was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, and Phillips was taken to Regions Hospital. By the time Phillips was out of surgery, officers who were reviewing surveillance video determined he was one of the shooters.

Several witnesses told police they disarmed Brown while he was on the floor of the bar. One witness said they repeatedly punched Brown's face, and Brown asked the witness why he was hitting him. The witness then told Brown to "Drop the f---ing gun," according to the complaint.
At that point, the complaint states, a different witness grabbed the gun, carried it outside and set it on the ground. A security guard stood over the gun, a KAHR Arms 9 mm handgun, until police collected it. Brown pleaded with a guard, "Don't let the police get the gun ...
Phillips managed to make his way out of the bar. According to the complaint, he limped down the street to a Honda Civic, got inside and then fell to the street until emergency responders tended to his wounds. A search warrant was later executed on the Civic, and a handgun was found inside.