Young guy in Boston new to smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NextGen

Reaction score
Hey, I’m pretty new to pipe smoking and would love mentorship. I don’t know if there are guys in the Boston/MA area who would like to talk, maybe meet up sometime and mentor soneome new to this. Just bought a great, 1965 Dunhill billiard pipe.

Welcome to BoB young man. You'll find plenty of companionship here to help guide you on your way. No doubt some of our brothers in the NE can steer you to a local pipe club.

Nice bit of briar you picked up for a first pipe.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Thanks, and I’d love to know some good shops in the area. And to be honest, it’s my second pipe. My first was a pretty bad 35 dollar cheapo.

Welcome to the BoB NG.

I think your online handle is particularly apt; normally associated with older farts, if pipe smoking is to survive we need a new breed of youngsters to continue to fly the flag. I'm very sure you'll get all the mentorship you'll need to get you going from the goodly folk that you'll see on these pages... you just need to ask and there'll be plenty willing to help!

That's quite some pipe to start with too! So, which way are you leaning at the moment with your choice of baccys?

Thanks. I agree. It would be a shame to see pipe smoking go away. It’s sad to see great companies like dunhill announce the end of their tobacco sales. To answer your question, I started with some pretty bad, local shop bought tobaccos, until I realized that I needed to look for better. I found Orlik golden sliced, dunhill London blend and I’m waitIng on 7 seas regular blend to try a good aromatic. Any suggestions?

Good choices! You may also find these pages useful too:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers

Baccy choice is so subjective. It's like asking what sort of artwork do you like!

To break it down into a few starting categories you could try an aromatic (aro) a Virginia (Va) and an English and see what tickles your fancy. Any of the recommendations on the above link would serve you well, remembering that there are literally 1000s of choices in each of those categories. Your journey has begun young Padawan. Let me know when you find enlightenment!

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are well on your way into the joy of discovery! Browse, ask, all that! :cheers:

Thank you. As expected, the pipe smokers have all been gentlemen, and very helpful.

I think I ran across it online, but I haven’t visited yet. I’m in the suburbs so I don’t go into the city often, but I think I might do that soon. Thanks for the tip. It’s nice to know that a place that reputable is close by.

Absolutely you should get in to see LJ Peretti's in person the climate these days there really is no telling how long any of these places will remain. Unfortunately a number of their blends recently disappeared when McClelland closed shop. They still have some great stuff to offer though.
Oh and very nice score on that older Dunhill.

Welcome aboard
Jim

Thank you. I think I’ll take your advice and check that place out. I’m worried that these places are going to go extinct too quickly. I hope they keep a market going.

Welcome, I too am new to pipe smoking and to the board. Lots of useful info here and very friendly posters.

Welcome and I second (or third?) the suggestion to get thyself to Peretti's posthaste.

Their Tashkent is one of my favorite blends.

:D