Your 2009 "Want List" ????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the beginning of every year, I make a list with ten carvers that I will concentrate on, with the hopes of getting 3 or 4. I have commission requests with 4 carvers outstanding, but sometimes these take over a year to get. Last week the Downie I commissioned 15 months ago came in (the Hydria). Occasionally something unplanned comes along.

I would like a Larry Roush and maybe an Eltang (not a Sara Eltang which I have). With Roush, I've seen many I could have purchased, but not all of them appeal to me.

I'm not sure if this counts as a want, but all Ruthenbergs, Tinskys, Rad Davis, and Jody Davis are considered as possible purchases.

I'd like to get a piece out of Eastern Europe from one of those talented young
carvers before the prices go out of sight.Sentarov,ect. are making pieces second
to none.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":rnr3l3y2 said:
I'd like to get a piece out of Eastern Europe from one of those talented young
carvers before the prices go out of sight.Sentarov,ect. are making pieces second
to none.
I second that motion. (I'd actually another Gregor Lobnik piece... I have two already and they're just outstanding.)

Tennessee Dave":sf0169fa said:
I have commissioned another Rad Davis and hope to add a Ruthenberg and Purdy this year as well.
Dave, you won't be sorry with anything from Brian Ruthenberg. I just ordered one from SmokingPipes.

I'm getting a decent collection. I found a beautiful smooth straight grain brandy that I had forgot about purchasing.

Add to my list:

J.T. Cooke.

Though I have been smoking a pipe a good while off and on I have just the past two years started to really get in to the hobby, especially from mid-2007 to now. So, I am a bit of a wannabe collector at this point.

I am hoping to get 2-3 more decent pipes this year with my eye currently out for a nice sandblast or rusticated pipe with some silver banding in the 100-175 range. I like full bent billiards and apples, mainly. So shopping the various sites and seeing what pops on the screen or at shows is getting to be fun. Just don't tell my wife. She'll think I like shopping now, or something. The others might be something like a pipe of the year or someone's Christmas pipe. :?:

Hopefully that one pipe will reach out and grab me. I have an image in my head of it, but just haven't seen it. (Maybe I should just bite the bullet and commission one sometime?) For whatever reason I am pretty picky as of late and have turned away several that fit the description pretty closely. But, hey, in this hobby beggars can be choosers some of the time! Can't they?

He doesn't know it yet but I am getting ready to commission a new Brissett! :D :eek: I hope that Mike will accomodate me! :D

I would like to have at least one high end in my rotation by the end of the year. Something really organic looking like a blowfish or something but I have very limited knowledge of these pipes or where to start. I've been checking out pulvers and tax free pipes, problem is everything I like is either sold or effing expensive, too expensive for this fella at least!