Your 2009 "Want List" ????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
In 2009 I hope to expand my collection of U.S. carver's pipes. I have a Jack Howell in the works and already want another. I'm also seeking a Brad Pohlman or two a Darius Christian(GRC) and an Adam Davidson.... I also wouldn't mind purchasing a Love Geiger and an Anne Julie.

As for tobacco, I will be cellaring away tons of Navy Flake as well as more Hermit tobacco works limited edition blends.

What are you hoping to buy this year?

I would like to acquire a couple of American carvers and a couple of Danes. Specifically, Jack Howell, Rad Davis, Robert Vacher - Former, Balleby, Heeschen. Have to see what's in the cards, but if I end up with at least 2 off this list I'll consider it a good year.

Want to start seriously putting away some pounds of FVF, St James flake, Astley's 109, Hamborger Veermaster, and several half pounders of Pease blends like Filmore and Key Largo.

I'd like to arrange more Sara Eltangs for everyday smokers and possibly get a Tom Eltang for special occasions. Might take more than a year though. :lol:

Tobacco wise, just bulk up on my favorites and hopefully not find too many new ones.

Having been on Jack Howell's mailing list for a year or more with no luck, I'm hoping this will be the year for success! Also another Heeschen, either a small nautilus/snail or black bamboo apple would be nice.

Jim

Another Handmade Kaywoodie or two would be nice. Maybe another commissioned Brissett. I'm satisfied for the moment, but like the tackle monkey (fisherman know him), PAD can strike at any time! :twisted:

In no particular order: A Rad Davis, a Mark Tinsky, maybe another Boswell or 2. A Peterson Claddagh (my wife's favorite Irish Symbol), and a Radice. If I buy even 2 of these, I'll be more than happy.

I'll definitely try my hand at making another in the near futere.

Don

Well, I've got my 2nd Jack Howell in the works (Cobra) and I would like to pick up a Rad Davis, he is doing some real nice work. At this point in my life rather put my money in pipes (and tobacco) at least if the economy completely tanks I'll still have my pipes....

I would sure like 4 new ones and not have to worry about the price of them. One of them would be a meer and the others with a lot of great "Birds-eye"

Pipewise, I hope to aquire another Tinsky, perhaps the B.O.B. pipe.
Baccywise, I'm trying to focus in on what I really like and start a good cellar of those.

My plans for 2009 are humble and probably not worthy to be in any list.

I have been buying very few pipes (4 in all last year) and the trend will continue this year. I don’t have specific plans, but I will probably buy one or two Ruthenbergs and another one or two of the others (which will probably be Ferndowns). I wouldn’t say these are high grade pipes, just very good affordable pipes, definitely not straightgrains. If it wasn’t such a blasphemy, I might venture to say that I have enough pipes already.

My largest investment will be in tobacco. I’m slowly building my retirement stash, all tinned and no bulks, which is a significant expense. I’m budgeting for 40 lb for this year.

The truth is, these days I’ve been burying most of my disposable income in other hobbies (see this as an example of one of my most recent acquisitions) and have had to cut back on pipes. But I’d rather cut on pipes than on tobacco…

Nice shotgun Dottle. I registered for a drawing for one of those at the gun show back before Christmas. The drawing isn't until July I believe. I'm heading out to the big gun and knife show this weekend at the fairgrounds. I have been getting back into knives again lately. I picked up a couple of nice mint vintage Case knives in the last couple of months.

I have so many wants that are just way out of reach.

Tinsky
Howell
Dejarnett
Roush
Rad Davis
Pohlmann
old dunhill and ashton...the old ones that were actually good

As Far as tobacco

who knows. I'm still figuring out what i do and don't like.

Other than a Dunhill birthyear pipe, I'm not actively looking for anything. I kinda got carried away last year with the pipe buying business. I've got pipes I haven't touched as of yet!! Tobacco is another subject, however!! Just ordered a bunch of baccy; will provide list tomorrow. Expanding and stocking the cellar before the SCHIP taxes kick in!! :evil: FTRPLT

In the $500+ range, I'd like to add a Pohlman and a Parks. A Jody Davis would be a possibility, too.

In the $150 to $450 range (which is where I'll be buying primarily), Chhedas and Cavicchis.

I'm always in the market for the right GBD or Sasieni. If the right Astley or Barling came along, I'd be interested.

Tobacco: My go-to brand is Smokers' Haven's English blends made by Germain. I have 7+ pounds but I'll want to double that, especially in their "Our Best Blend" which they run of out annually. I'll add some McCelland blends, SG and Astleys.

Just bought a new "old" Dunhill, one that I have been looking for. A 1959 #726.
Next up is a comissioned pipe by JT Cooke, a small pencil shank Canadian in black blast. Hope to have it by this years Chicago Show.

As far as tobaccos, been stocking up on older PCCA blends and searching for old UK made Three Nuns........love that stuff!

a birthyear dunhill is the one i would like to find this year, and find it when i can afford it is the key lol

There will be the usual Tinsky's for birthday and Christmas, probably no other pipes.

I'm in the middle of a "recast the cellar" campaign - almost 800 ounces were sold or PIF'd last year after I discovered I just wasn't liking what I put down. (Kudos to those who take the time to develop solid favorites before building their cellar!) I'm going to 60 pounds distributed as follows American - 380 oz (currently 387, doing okay here), English - 300 oz (currently 319, also okay), Scented - 140 oz (currently 170, way okay), and Tonquin - 140 oz (currently 60, but 3 lbs will be delivered Monday).

Buddy

2 or 3 of the highgrade American carvers, one of which would be a Todd Johnson blowfish, a 3/4 bent partially rusticated Brissett and an assortment of midgrade 4s.