Your favorite B&M/Smoking Spot

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Storm_Crow":d237ffxe said:
These are all stereotypes we've all seen, and while they will not apply to all individuals in a group, the reality is that stereotypes usually have a basis in reality.

This also means that the various groups of smokers, far from being kindred spirits, rarely have many similarities, and often scorn one another. Lets be honest, while suffering irritation due to the attitude of these cigar lounge guys...how often do pipe smokers look upon cigarette or pot smokers with utter disdain.
True enough.

And in answer to the second paragraph's question, perhaps not in utter disdain, it all depends if they're screwing up my pipe with their nervous chatter and deathstick stink or my meditation by vocalizing their idiot, THC-fueled revelations. :lol: As a pipe smoker, I pretty much want to be left alone. If I'm at a B&M, obviously that's different. 8)

Kyle Weiss":fysbaq9y said:
...or my meditation by vocalizing their idiot, THC-fueled revelations. :lol:
yesitis2.gif

There used to be a nice little place I'd go to when I lived in Houston. They were mostly a cigar shop but didn't mind pipe smokers. It was the kind of place where business type would go in the afternoon to either work or shoot the bull. I'd take my laptop and work for hours there over a nice cigar or pipe, but it closed and a Hooka shop opened up instead.

I gave it a try a few times, but I got this odd feeling that if I kept going in there I'd eventually be part of some sort of raid and get hauled off to jail for questioning. :lol:

Now that I'm in Fairhope there are no shops whatsoever.

When I lived in Baton Rouge, I used to always hang out at Bayou Tobacco with Sarah and Mike (the owners), Karl (Tinker), David, and John (Smiley). I was the youngest guy in the group and the newest to the pipe so I was the newb back then. Over the course of a year, I formed friendships with all those folks and others. Any time I go back to BR I do my best to stop in, have a pipe, spend some money, and catch up.

There were other great places in BR that I used to go as well like Churchill's, which was a high end cigar bar. My pal Ben and I would swing by every other week or so dressed to the nines to live it up a bit. Sometimes it's just fun to be in pretentious surroundings.

In Syracuse, there were a few B&Ms but none that I particularly enjoyed. Nothing in Cortland, NY and only a meager shop in Ithaca, NY.

Pittsburgh is B&M heaven! I worked at Puffs & Stuff (don't let the name fool you, this place was nice) and frequently visited Allegheny Smokeworks where I got hooked up with the Pittsburgh Pipe Club. That club is a small but fantastic group of guys. I also visited so many others in the area that I can't remember their names, but I never set foot into one that I didn't go back to at some point. Never had a bad experience in a B&M in Pittsburgh.

In Chicago, I've encountered 2 B&Ms that I've returned to and enjoy hanging out in: Iwan Ries and 8 to 8 Cigars. There are 2 shops right by my apartment and I've tried hanging out, but the people who work there and hang out there are so unpleasant that I haven't found a reason to return. I've stepped foot in several other shops around town and experienced the same thing: unhappy people grumpily dragging their feet around. Iwan Ries and 8 to 8 Cigars are both a breath of fresh air in terms of the folks who spend time in those establishments.