Your favorite comic strips?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I still read the newspaper daily I do love some of the comic strips and follow them religiously. A few of my faves are-

Zits (unquestionably the best. I can relate)
Baby Blues (love the kid Hammie and his antics)
Dilbert (a perennial fave)
Pickles (can often make me lol for real)
Luanne (good story lines and great characterizations)
Stone Soup (sadly this went to Sunday only due to the creator going into semi-retirement)
Peanuts (while in perpetual re-runs now this never fails to amuse. Timeless.)

Honourable mentions-

Blondie (kind of has run out of steam, but occasionally can still delight)
Non Sequitur (can usually be OK, but due to the smaller than normal dialogue font makes it difficult for me)
Wizard of Id (same old schtick, but occasionally entertaining)

I still lament the passing of Calvin and Hobbes. Possibly the finest strip ever created from any viewpoint.

And Bloom County in it's day also ruled. Who can argue that?

:?:

Amazed that some of the old strips I grew up with are still around such as -

Beetle Bailey (tired story line now)
The Family Circus (I remember when it was called "The Family Circle". And no it's dumb anymore. Was many years ago too)
Hagar the Horrible (not as old as the above, but still about as boring)

I lament the passing of strips such as -

Pogo (way great, with social commentary. Even though I was mostly too young to appreciate the nuances back then. And the artwork was beyond great)

Our Boarding House (with Major Hoople <Egad/haff kaff-smoking a cigar>, Lysander, and Martha who always seemed to have a rolling pin ready to bean the Major when he came home inebriated. Wonder what our uber pc world would make of that in this day and age?

Dick Tracy (wrist radio, which at the time was a thing of fantasy. What would those back in the day say to our contemporary technology?)

Lil' Orphan Annie (never really got into this, but it seemed to be big back in the day. Never could understand why her eyes were drawn as blanks!)

And on a related note, I was a comic book ho. Clearly remember reading "The Katzenjammer Kids" and "Der Captain und Der Kids". Absolutely non-pc stuff these days but hilariously funny taking into consideration the day and age. I got these on loan from an older cousin.

I'll refrain from dredging up other comic books as those were all part and parcel of a different generation, for now anyways.

So that's the set-up. I haven't linked any references so that's on you to explore as you feel interested. Or not.

And you?

(I'll be very interested to get Jim's take on all this)

Cheers,

RR

Quite a few on your list I've never heard of, but chalk it up to my boondock location where the paper still headlines with which church is holding a bake sale this week.

I guess my favorite is "Get Fuzzy" where cat-titude rivals dog-duh.

Forgot to mention a few other old strips I read as a kid-

Alley Oop
Gasoline Alley
Lil' Abner (always a fave)

I'll think of more later..........

Cheers,

RR

Asterix The Gaul. Great stuff!
Bloom county for sure.
Far Side gets a second vote.

No longer get a newspaper but as a kid I used to like to read:

Captain Easy
Snuffy Smith
The Phantom
Prince Valiant
Henry
Denis the Menace
Little Lulu
The Wizard of Id
Beetle Bailey
Hi and Lois
Tumble Weeds
Steve Canyon

I saw a Sunday paper a couple of weeks ago and when I looked at the comic section I don't think I recognized any of characters. :no:

AJ

Calvin and Hobbes for me I use to read them all the time in Stars and Strips.

Regards,
Richard

http://www.redmeat.com/max-cannon/FreshMeat

rm-2016-07-19.png

Current daily reads on-line:

Luann
9 Chickweed Lane
Dilbert
the repeats of the Elderberries

and two panels that feature recaptioned material: classic painting (This is Priceless) and recaptioned old comic book panels (mostly from the 'soap opera' comics of the 50s and early 60s, called Last Kiss)

BTW, if you didn't know, Breathed started drawing new Bloom County strips some time ago and posting them on Facebook. Some weeks there are 7, others weeks one or two, or anything in between. Some classic strips are rerun as well.

And from a UK slant, Andy Capp and Fred Basset. Two long time favourites in our newspapers.

In terms of Comics, my all time favourite was the Eagle, featuring Dan Dare and the Mekon. I'm not old enough to remember the original run of course, as it was in the mid 50s, but my Dad has regaled many stories. Imagine my delight then as a young teen when it was re-launched in the early 80s. I was such a fan I subscribed. I can remember jumping on my bike every Sunday morning to ride through the village to get to the news agents to pick up my Eagle. Very often I'd stop on the way home, sit on a bench by the church and read several strips. I'm so attached to them I still have every one of them in the garage. Now I have a son I figured he might like to read them. Oh the memories!

Again, from the UK perspective, my favourites are:

Fred Basset (I've owned Basset Hounds since 1987 and the cartoons capture perfectly the Basset Hound spirit!)
Rupert the Bear
Peanuts (I grew up around Americans and this cartoon strip holds many happy memories, as does)
Beetle Bailey

There's a few to be going on with ?

Up until a few years ago our local small-town rag featured a small selection of tired out comic strips such as-

Popeye (think this might've been recycled stuff from it's heyday. It was lame)

Jiggs and Maggie (another uber non-pc strip in this day and age, which often featured the male character Jiggs at the point of total inebriation staggering home complete with cigar in hand, only to find his long suffering wife Maggie waiting for him at the door with a rolling pin with a view to do cerebral damage. Mind you, this sort of storyline doesn't ruffle the feathers here at chez Brewdude - rather I regard it as a relic of the past such as vaudeville is with respect to a pie in the face. Ah, let's face it, the strip sucked!)

Said local rag hasn't featured any strips for some time now, and wisely too. Then again it's a rag not much worth reading unless one wants to keep up on how the local HS/Jr HS sports teams are fairing.

As to the above posts, yes I've also been a fan of Andy Capp (the only one from the UK I know), Hi and Lois, Mr. Tweedy, Tumbleweeds, and a good few others. And of the latter, they seem to have long disappeared.

Fun thread. Keep them coming!

:D

Cheers,

RR

My favorite of them all was B.C.

Followed very closely by The Wizzard of Id and Bloom County.

But I must admit I had more laugh-out-loud moments from Herman than any other.

Yours,
--DAL

I don't regularly read any but I am a fan of them all...but best? Hagar the Horrible or Wizard of Id.

If they took all the hate and fear they post as news out of the news paper and just gave us comics from front to back more people would be hopeful and less would be OD-ing on heroin,min a ditch, selling their body.

I had Scribd specifically for the comic books.. I've also in times past been a member of Marvel Unlimited. I wish D.C. Would get off their butt and introduce a way to read large amounts of comic book for a reasonable price.

Calvin and Hobbes, seeing as my computer background is Calvin and Hobbes glancing at the night sky.

My faves were (are):

-The Far Side
-Life is Hell and/or Love is Hell (Matt Groening)...used to run in Vancouver's Georgia Straight newspaper.
-Peanuts (our family had all the digests from back in the 60s and 70s...classic)
-Calvin and Hobbs...of course!

Let's not forget good ol' cigar smokin' SHOE!! No one mentioned "Mutt and Jeff." From the old days, but always good for a laugh!!

Only two were my top favorites, Pogo and Calvin and Hobbes.

Have read others like Shoe which holds third place, had one of its comics on the wall in my office because I had the nickname Wizard.
Some of our troubleshooter's would work on a problem only asking for assistance when they'd reached the end of their rope.

I can't tell you how frustrating it was for them to have me walk in and in a few moments everything was back in order, but the next instance happened enough times it shook them up,and got me my nickname.

I walked into the problem and it was gone, the joke got to be it was so afraid of me it fixed itself, the Shoe comic I had was on a similar bent.
banjo

fishnbanjo":oaj264lx said:
Only two were my top favorites, Pogo and Calvin and Hobbes.

Have read others like Shoe which holds third place, had one of its comics on the wall in my office because I had the nickname Wizard.
Some of our troubleshooter's would work on a problem only asking for assistance when they'd reached the end of their rope.

I can't tell you how frustrating it was for them to have me walk in and in a few moments everything was back in order, but the next instance happened enough times it shook them up,and got me my nickname.

I walked into the problem and it was gone, the joke got to be it was so afraid of me it fixed itself, the Shoe comic I had was on a similar bent.
banjo
nice