Your favorite comic strips?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ftrplt":k6m33f2n said:
Let's not forget good ol' cigar smokin' SHOE!! No one mentioned "Mutt and Jeff." From the old days, but always good for a laugh!!
Ya, Shoe was a great script. My newspaper doesn't carry it.

Cheers,

RR

Snuffy Smith
Beetle Bailey
Peanuts
There was probably more but, hell! It's been eons since I've even seen a full newspaper.

Anyone ever see that live-action Calvin and Hobbes movie from the late '90s? The one with the grown up Calvin? Turns out his "imagination" was actually a deep seated mental disorder that was never noticed by his neglectful parents. Job pressure in his 30s cause the Hobbes persona to re-emerge, only now Hobbes is human. They get up to their old antics again, holing up in a clubhouse and occasionally beating the crap out of each other. Then it takes a dark turn, with Hobbes recruiting an anarchist army and turning the basement soap-making business into a bomb factory, all before Calvin realizes he and Hobbes are the same person.

George Kaplan":bn49tytm said:
Anyone ever see that live-action Calvin and Hobbes movie from the late '90s? The one with the grown up Calvin? Turns out his "imagination" was actually a deep seated mental disorder that was never noticed by his neglectful parents. Job pressure in his 30s cause the Hobbes persona to re-emerge, only now Hobbes is human. They get up to their old antics again, holing up in a clubhouse and occasionally beating the crap out of each other. Then it takes a dark turn, with Hobbes recruiting an anarchist army and turning the basement soap-making business into a bomb factory, all before Calvin realizes he and Hobbes are the same person.
Surely you're pulling our legs George. That sounds far fetched.

Cheers?

RR

No, really! It was a pretty good movie, if controversial and self consciously artsy at times. Wish I could remember the name of it. A little help here, Richard?

Fight Club! Thank you. That was driving me crazy trying to remember it.
Anyway, back on topic. My local paper has pretty lousy comics, but I liked Beetle Bailey and Hagar as a kid, and Far Side and Bloom County as a teen-ager.

As a wee lad, I liked Dick Tracy and Lil' Abner. Wish Al Capp hadn't kicked. Today, I like Monty, kind of a loser on steroids. Wish I could find the strip where he proudly carries a briefcase, bringing work home from a new job. Turns out he works in a sewage treatment plant. Had me laughing hysterically, just the absurdity of it. (You'd have to "be there." Something about the way he's drawn.)

monte10.jpg
" />

Richard Burley":stfuxjt8 said:
Sounds like Fight Club to me, or did I miss the detour?
George Kaplan":stfuxjt8 said:
Fight Club! Thank you. That was driving me crazy trying to remember it.
Right then, it is a real movie. Although I must say the story line you've outlined above George seems very implausible based on the strips. Did Bill Watterson create this? if so, it almost seems out of character. Maybe I'll go off to google land to see what I can learn there, as the great God google isn't the first thing I think of in matters like this.

:!:

Cheers,

RR

Richard Burley":fm8l67n0 said:
As a wee lad, I liked Dick Tracy and Lil' Abner. Wish Al Capp hadn't kicked.
Richard, do you remember Al Capp in the late 60's? He was a lightning rod and  used to debate college kids on stage with a purpose to marginalizing his perception of their liberal views.

I heard several of his rants back then, and even though I was not of an age to form an opinion on either side he struck me as an individual with an extreme agenda.

I also remember Capp being a guest on the old Johnny Carson show. He was equally as extreme there, waving his cigar around to make his points from what looked like someone afflicted with a nerve disease.

Also remember Capp being brought up on charges of allegedly exposing himself to an underage female. Think that's what finally brought him down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capp

All the pity, since Lil' Abner was a way great strip.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":2svyoaty said:
Right then, it is a real movie. Although I must say the story line you've outlined above George seems very implausible based on the strips. Did Bill Watterson create this? if so, it almost seems out of character.
Alright, alright. I'll admit to goofing off here. No, Fight Club is not officially based on Calvin and Hobbes. I do, however, have a great deal of evidence to support my thesis, but this is George you're talking to. You can't take George seriously. But until someone can prove that the main character's name isn't Calvin, I'm going to go on believing my version of reality. It's what I'm best at.
:geek:

Brewdude":o98lc22q said:
...Richard, do you remember Al Capp in the late 60's? He was a lightning rod and  used to debate college kids on stage with a purpose to marginalizing his perception of their liberal views.

I heard several of his rants back then, and even though I was not of an age to form an opinion on either side he struck me as an individual with an extreme agenda.
Vaguely. I was never much of a TV watcher. I sort of remember him being obnoxious as hell, even though many of his views were probably congruent with my own. Remember, to quote someone named Barry from that era, "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."