Your Favorite Sweet & Smoky Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
What are some of your favorite sweet & smoky blends?

Mostly talking about Burley or dark-fired blends with some sweetness, not so much about aromatic English blends ( I've had good luck finding those). Most blends with any noticeable sweetness are usually aromatics that are made from Cavendish or very mild tobaccos. But I'm looking for bold and savory with a touch of sweetness (think hibachi grilled teriyaki steak).

I just made up a big batch of a blend called Dark Matter which is 11/16 Mac Baren Bold Kentucky, 4/16 hearty Five Brothers Burley, and the finishing touch: 1/16 (6.25%) Caramel Cavendish. Now that's what I'm talking about!

I enjoy making my own blends that get the specific flavor profiles I'm looking for, but I'd sure like to try any commercial blends that fit this category. I need some ideas for my next TAD order!! Bring it on Bros!

Hmmm...Not being a big 'aro" smoker, I'll throw out Bob's Chocolate Flake and the Kendall Mayor's Chocolate Flake as two I do enjoy. Also, Watch City Cigar has some nice blends you may like. I particularly enjoy their Watch City Slice Burley. Both Uhle's and JM Boswell's various aro-type blends you may like. Checkout their respective websites if you wish! Maybe this helps!!! FTRPLT

Thanks for the ideas. I've seen Bob's chocolate mentioned by others as well, so I'll have to check that out for sure. Looking over the Wilke portfolio it seems they may also have some in this category that I haven't tried yet. But overall it seems to be a narrow niche. Not a lot of pipe smokers gravitate to this style. Rum and spirits blends like EGR are more popular, and I do like those, so there's no shortage of finding something to enjoy!!

Tried some Weybridge couple of nights ago and found it very pleasant. Today I noticed references to Old Toby by CS which has the same components. Can anyone who has tried both compare. Old Toby gets great reviews and so far I've not had a bad CS blend, just some better than others. Plan to order some more soon, country cowboy and choctaw and may get some old toby with those. Thoughts from those who like old toby,, DL?

Old Toby is a bit of a wet mess. I am talking slick with some sort of thick sugary humectant. Strangely it burns fairly well despite the moisture level, but it does leave the bowl somewhat goopy. I was drawn to it by the aromatic with a measure of perique description. I wasn't terribly impressed. I put it in a bail top jar hoping it dries out gradually.

What are some of your favorite sweet & smoky blends?

Mostly talking about Burley or dark-fired blends with some sweetness, not so much about aromatic English blends ( I've had good luck finding those). Most blends with any noticeable sweetness are usually aromatics that are made from Cavendish or very mild tobaccos. But I'm looking for bold and savory with a touch of sweetness (think hibachi grilled teriyaki steak).

I just made up a big batch of a blend called Dark Matter which is 11/16 Mac Baren Bold Kentucky, 4/16 hearty Five Brothers Burley, and the finishing touch: 1/16 (6.25%) Caramel Cavendish. Now that's what I'm talking about!

I enjoy making my own blends that get the specific flavor profiles I'm looking for, but I'd sure like to try any commercial blends that fit this category. I need some ideas for my next TAD order!! Bring it on Bros!
Sillem's Black. Blackberry with latakia.

Sillem's Black. Blackberry with latakia.
Thanks for the tip. I've had good luck with the Sillems blends (when they can be found!) just hadn't paid attention to this because it is listed as an aromatic. Read some reviews and this does in fact sound like something I'd really enjoy.

I'm smoking Deacon's Downfall right now. It is a latakia blend, but it falls right into your description.

I'll second (third, fourth) the recommendation for Bob's Chocolate Flake, except I can't find any. In it's place, and certainly not a lesser tobacco, I'd recommend Cornell & Diehl's Mississippi Mud.