Your feelings about Grecian briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The pipe man

Reaction score
Hi all. I own over 70 pipes and enjoy them all. I do however have my favorites and believe it or not they are my collection of Carey Magic Inch pipes. These are pipes on par with Medico and Kaywoodie pipes. They have been around since the forties. Anyway they make them all over the world not just in one country. I have some stamped France, Italy, Israel, Denmark and others I'm sure I have not researched so I don't know these are just some of the countries that are stamped on the pipes I own. Anyway I just got a new one ( estate ) off E bay and for the first time this one was stamped Carey Magic Inch, a pat # and Grecian. That's it. No country. Maybe it's USA because of there being a pat # but I really don't know. Now, out of all my pipes not just my Carey's that one is the only one I own stamped Grecian. I can tell you it looked heavier than it was. In fact it's light which tells me they got most of the resin and other impurities out of the briar which is a good thing. It takes a lot of boiling and drying for many years to get a piece of briar like that. Now do any of you own a pipe made of Grecian briar because I gotta tell you that this is the best smoking pipe I own now and I can't believe it. The tobacco tastes wonderful in it and it stays fairly cool even with no cake. This pipe was never smoked so it had no break in or cake. I want to find and buy another Grecian pipe and see if it really is the briar or is my new pipe is just one of those pipes that smokes better than most. Let me know if you own any Grecians and if so what you think of them. Keep on tamping.
Jim

I am interested in this. I have an old Carey magic inch but it isn't in my rotation. But back to my point. I am thinking of buying a carve your own pipe block and Grecia briar is one of the two choices. I don't really know the difference so I am very intrigued buy this particular thread.

Hey. All the articles I have looked at about briar claim Grecian is the best of the best but I have a feeling that it may be more difficult to work with because it's most likely going to be harder wood than other types but I'm no expert.